NAUI ? : stops done "at a stop"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last week,on a trip, during a surface interval, the subject of "deep stops" came up-(among a bunch of recreational divers).
I stated that I like to add a "half depth stop", in addition to the regular safety stop,
on each dive. I also mentioned that , on the previous dive, (70 ft max depth), it was easy to do, because we spent about 4 minutes at approx 35 ft while looking at the reef.
One of the other divers took extreme exception-he "proclaimed" that "That would not count as a stop, because we were moving." He went on to add "My son just finished NAUI AOW, I read the manual, and it says that all stops-safety-mandatory deco-must be done while not swimming."
He was so adamant that I declined to take issue. I think that he was wrong. Although his comments got a few sets of rolled eyes from some of the other divers, the situation did not warrant challenging this guy's position.
It is my understanding, as long as you are not overexerting, that the depth is the critical element in a "stop", rather than having to "hang or hover".

I'm checking 2 things: First:in general, is a "moving" safety/deco stop acceptable (i.e. was I correct?)

Second: (for NAUI people): Is there anything in the NAUI AOW book that supports what this man said??

Thanks as always,
Mike

I can't say what's in the NAUI texts but I've done an awful lot of deompression time that was done while swimming out of the cave.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. If you have a 15 minute swim at 50 ft...as an example...you need to fit it into your schedule somehow.

On other dives we spend decompression time milling around the cavern rather than staying still in one spot.

We have even done cold water stops in OW by slowly swimming around.

Being to cold isn't good either and moving some during decompression can help keep you warmer.

Moving around and doing some sightseeing helps keep the bordom away too and it hasn't ever hurt me.

It has always been my understanding that some movement at a safety stop is a good thing because it keeps the blood moving. You do not over work yourself at a safety stop though.

as far as my understanding goes your "half depth stop" is a good thing and will help with one's off-gassing. About the moving about, it is understood that the less active you are the faster you would off-gas. As your "half depth stop" is more of a volentery stop by the way I read it and is not part of a true deco stop, then who cases if you swim around a bit, and this guy needs to be more open to others points.

I dont belive there is anything in the NAUI AOW, even if there is one. As here in South Africa AOW is just skill development.

I make deep stops, but not necessarily at half my deepest depth. Coming up from a deep dive I always plan a 3 minute stop at 30 feet and 5 or more at 15. If I'm close to my NDL, I'll add deeper stops, usually at 40 & 50 feet, but depending on the profile, I may add deeper ones still. Once I've made a deep stop, I stop every 10 feet until my 30 ft stop, then my next sto is at 15.

From what I've read, swimming around (moderate excercise) during the stop actually helps one to off gas.

I'd let him stay in his little misinformed world because it really doesn't affect you one way or the other.

I guess my question would be are we talking about a Safety Stop while you are still in the NDL limits or a Deco Stop in which there is an obligation?

I am not a NAUI instructor, but know from a NAUI instructor that the NAUI standards for open water training require the student to ascend at 30 ft/min and "hover" at 15 ft. It could be that this diver is being overly strict in intrepreting this.

I'm not sure the science is conclusive one way or another on the effect of mild exercise on off-gassing, but as you can see, it is very common to do it the way you described. If I do a wall dive down to 80-100 ft. and the top of the wall is in 15-20 ft., like parts of Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman, I cruise the top of the reef for 15 minutes or more at the end of the dive. I would not then stay still at the same depth for another 3-5 minutes to satisfy a safety stop.

CAPNVINNY:
I guess my question would be are we talking about a Safety Stop while you are still in the NDL limits or a Deco Stop in which there is an obligation?

Reading his post, he's referring specifically to safety stops, but also asking about deco stops.

Why would it matter? They are essentially the same. One is required, one is not.

spankey:
About the moving about, it is understood that the less active you are the faster you would off-gas.
I disagree strongly.

Dr. Deco and others have posted that mild exercise during decompression is beneficial and promotes offgassing by keeping good blood circulation going. Dr Deco has experimentally supported this theory with tests on astronauts preparing for EVA. They have to offgass N2 to avoid DCS when going to the reduced pressure of the 3.5psi 100% O2 envirionment of space suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom