Question Calculate repetitive dive group with safety stop on O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gather you're concerned about driving home after a dive? Check out the Santa Rosa thread, which discusses the elevation gain when driving from a popular dive site in NM. Breathing the O2 during the drive is also an option.
Yup, also planning to do this! Which is why I wanted to use Navy tables, because I know chamber operators have off-gassing tables for breathing O2 on the surface, but they require input based on the Navy tables (or NOAA tables--but tables nonetheless).
Did you have a particular altitude about which you are worried? Timeline for that?
7,200 ft. Current timelines are based solely on DAN no-fly times. But I would like to be more precise.

I've done similar analysis (mentioned in the Santa Rosa Altitude thread). If I were doing that dive without O2, I calculate 6.9 hr time required before hitting a critical GF99(7200 ft) value. With 5 mins of O2, 6.0 hr.

This is not advice. It is only what I would be comfortable doing. You should do your own analysis, as it's your health on the line.

ETA: this is shorter than the Navy Table lists for 7000 ft. As @tursiops recommended, those tables are going to be your best bet for something official.

Yup, also planning to do this! Which is why I wanted to use Navy tables, because I know chamber operators have off-gassing tables for breathing O2 on the surface, but they require input based on the Navy tables (or NOAA tables--but tables nonetheless).

7,200 ft. Current timelines are based solely on DAN no-fly times. But I would like to be more precise.
Go ahead and use the navy tables for your dive(s), including using the O2 for a long safety stop but don't include the O2 in your table use. Then use the Navy ascent to altitude table with the RPG from your table. You'll be better off than whatever it says, because of your extra O2 usage.

@EFX might be able to help you. His spreadsheet software tracks N2 in all the compartments. I don't know whether he can also calculate an ascent to altitude version of his software.
The current version of my scuba dive excel spreadsheet allows entry of an altitude and all calculations will be based on using that altitude. It also supports two nitrox gasses for accelerated deco and breathing 100% O2 on the surface followed by an air surface interval if needed. Each dive profile can support four depths, one of them being a safety stop. See the help page for details. The spreadsheet will not give you dive groups as used in the tables. But, it might work for you. Here is the link:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom