NAUI ? : stops done "at a stop"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter ,the point I was trying to make was that if it wasn't a required stop,what would it matter,on the other hand if it was a required stop,NAUI might have specific thoughts on its guideline,since I'm not a NAUI instructor,I wouldn't know however I'd be curious to know what their manual says about it

do it easy:
I think light swimming is fine for a safety stop. I think the "deco at rest" rule comes from breathing rich O2 mixtures where exertion might trigger oxygen toxicity.

Yea, and in fact when I was recently calculating my RMV/SAC for deco, we assumed a bit of mild exertion.

It's good not to fall asleep, too.:eyebrow:

I used to like to sleep during deco - then I read somewhere more than once that remaining at rest slowed down offgassing and defeated the purpose of decompression. I can't take any extra chances anymore, so now I stay awake and keep moving around in the water column.

It's recommended you not take a nap immediately after diving for exactly that reason.

Vinny, I see what you mean, it's more crucial you follow guidelines more precisely on a deco stop than on a safety stop, but the guidelines still should be identical.

The only time I´d be still on a safety/deco stop would be in high current...then I´d spend my time doing a flag imitation on the upline but my preference in that situation would be drifting deco...

For everything else I try to move about a bit...

The NAUI instrctors that I assist, tell the students that if they want to do their safety stop at fifteen feet, that it is OK to swim around as long as they are not going up and down in the water column. They have said it isn't as boring as just sitting at the platform with nothing to do or look at.

I have the NAUI Advanced instructor guide here, and it only says "stop" at 15 feet. No mention of keeping still or not swimming.

I will check the NAUI AOW text and report back soonest.

Bill

My OW instructor prefers to swim around at the safety stop so she doesn't get bored. Doesn't seem like it would hurt.

At a quick glance in the text, no mention of "absolute stillness". I will look further (in NAUI's defence). Also, I too am of the mind that some movement, but minimal, is good during "offgassing" deco (required or not)

Bill

Back
Top Bottom