Name These Valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermatt:
Hey everyone. They don't mention J valves anymore in training, at least not in my OW or AOW class. Can you just get new valves? I don't have J valve tanks, just too much curiousity. :dork2:

The PADI Open Water Course mentions them in the manual. There are also questions on the final exam about the difference between the DIN and yolk there is another question that asks 'what is a j-valve?'. I bring in samples of DIN, K, and J-valves so that the sudent can play and see the differences.

Thanks for the clarification folks. I don't have my tank inspection books with me and I don't inspect a lot of tanks. Just for family, friends, and me.

One thing I do know, a dive shop is not allowed to condemn a tank unless you specifically tell them they can. Only a hydro facility can condemn a tank.

DennisW:
Thanks for the clarification folks. I don't have my tank inspection books with me and I don't inspect a lot of tanks. Just for family, friends, and me.

One thing I do know, a dive shop is not allowed to condemn a tank unless you specifically tell them they can. Only a hydro facility can condemn a tank.

I'm sorry but, I'm going to differ with you about this. Whether you're PSI, CGA, Luxfer, NFPA or Other trained you have the ability to Condemn a cylinder based on Visual Inspention. In fact most cylinders are condemned as a result of visual inspections before they are ever hydrotested. You do not need to be a hydro test facility to make a comparison to the visual standards and determine if the cylinder is fit to return to service, in need of service, to be removed from service, or condemned. By delivering the cylinder to an Inspector you are in fact asking them to make that very qualification, whether you've signed a service agreement or not. They should not destroy your property, and should return it to you, but you have by delivering it to them given them the authority to make that decision. If you look closely at the the standards for Fill Stations, it even goes so far as to require a cursory exterior inspection before each fill. If the person doing so is qualified to make a determination and notices an abnormality, the cylinder may and should be condemned without it even having been submitted for a VIP.

sarita75:
I just inherited some alum 80s that have this interesting valve (see image). I tried to google valves to ID them and determine the purpose but was unsucessuful. Hence my appeal to the collective wisdom of SB.

Thanks in Advance!

I'm thinking at least one tank is going bye-bye, but in case you need two valves, there were a pair of new Thermo yoke valves (not the Thermo Pros with yoke inserts) for sale here ($25/pair plus $10 shipping). http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26585

So, one of my LDS nixed both of the aluminium tanks saying that, because they are (I believe he said) pre-1981, they would require a "visual +" inspection that would require a send out and be as expensive as a hydro, but be required annually. So .... I might call the dive shop that did the last visuals to check the cost and see. Otherwise, I am going to take the valves off (which I was told looked great) and see about ridding myself of them independently..... if anyone is interested :)

John_B:
Fills for the 6351 alloy tanks are going to require an annual visual eddy test.

Is this a DOT requirement or a recomendation from some agency?

Just an aside, the empty tanks minus the valves, make pretty cool lamps, so they still have some life in another form. Think green.

Interestingly, the Navy manual still calls for the use of J-valves. IIRC, I think it has something to do in having a low air indicator that would work even in zero visibility, or conditions that required light discipline.

Betail:
Is this a DOT requirement or a recomendation from some agency?

Does it matter? With regard to 6351 alloy tanks, it seems as though the scuba industry and even individual shops, like to make up the rules as they go. It makes it really hard on the end user when the government regulations, Agency Standards, and Shop Policies don't align with each other. Specially, when some shops start refering to their Policies as Law, Regulation, or Requirement.

Doc Ed:
Interestingly, the Navy manual still calls for the use of J-valves. IIRC, I think it has something to do in having a low air indicator that would work even in zero visibility, or conditions that required light discipline.

Not only the Navy manual, but OSHA, etc. requires them for low visibility dives.

You can read my post above (#14).

You can still buy them new. Aqua Lung makes them. Marvel also sells them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom