Name These Valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man am I feeling old right now... most positivly J valves. Yup.. Brings back some memories for me. Mine never even had the cool rubber grip, Which I actually thought was a bad idea to start with.

Wow..... So I've got some oldies! :) Does anyone have any experience purchasing used valves? Ebay perhaps? Regretably, I don't have a ton of $ to spend on valves.

Put up a posting in the classified on here. Post it as WTB (want to buy). Earlier this week there was a guy selling 2 pretty new Thermo yoke valves because he just switched his tanks to DIN. Or if you think you might go DIN in the future, consider some convertible valves (more money), but they will do yoke or DIN.

If the tanks are pre-1989 (which they both look like they are), I wouldn’t spend a nickel on replacing the valves. Those valves are fine. Just keep the lever down and use them.

I am sorry to say, but if the tanks are pre-1989, the valves may be the more valuable part of the package. In many parts of the country the tanks may not be usable.

Oh by the way, you can still buy that exact valve from Aqua Lung (formerly US Divers) new. They still make that valve for commercial divers, public safety divers, and the military. “J” valves are still used for low and zero visibility dives (it is even an OSHA requirement).

Fills for the 6351 alloy tanks are going to require an annual visual eddy test.

Find out if that is what your tanks are made from, and if so, make sure that the tanks will pass a visual eddy before you go buying any valves for them. You may have "inherited" them for a reason. :)

John

John_B:
Fills for the 6351 alloy tanks are going to require an annual visual eddy test.

Find out if that is what your tanks are made from, and if so, make sure that the tanks will pass a visual eddy before you go buying any valves for them. You may have "inherited" them for a reason. :)

John
The yellow one is not a 6351 alloy because of the 3AL overstamp- it is likely an E6498 underneath the overstamp.

do it easy:
The yellow one is not a 6351 alloy because of the 3AL overstamp- it is likely an E6498 underneath the overstamp.

Um, E6498 tanks are 6351 alloy. The exemption number and the alloy number are two different creatures. My concern for the yellow tank is that the original DOT- Number, in this case exemption number has been x'ed out. This is what is done when a tank is condemned. The fact that there is then the 3AL stamped above that is thereafter meaningless.

Wow. I am pretty impressed that everyone can see so much from my garage. I was going to take the tanks in this afternoon to the shop to see about their status, condition, etc. and - most importantly, learn some more as a lot of the discussion is slightly - okay, "Way" over my head.

If people are interested, I will post the entire cylindar #s when I get home this afternoon.

The control rods are missing. Always keep the valves in the DOWN position. When a new diver joined our dive club (in the '70's) we would take the rods and throw them into 600' of water so they wouldn't have them. Nasty valve, when you needed it you would find that you bumped the valve down and would still be out of air. Not a good substitute for a spg.

fweber:
Um, E6498 tanks are 6351 alloy. The exemption number and the alloy number are two different creatures. My concern for the yellow tank is that the original DOT- Number, in this case exemption number has been x'ed out. This is what is done when a tank is condemned. The fact that there is then the 3AL stamped above that is thereafter meaningless.
oops, I guess everything is not as it seems! thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom