Name These Valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello All,

See these links for some interesting points on AL tank inspections:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=191928&highlight=6351

http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/approva..._retesters.htm

Look for post by DA Aquamaster and Captain ....there are others of course, but these two gentlemen come to mind.

If you can find a hydro facility that will inspect, test and fill your tanks...keep the tanks if they pass.

Ther is nothing wrong with the J valve provided it does not leak. If you do not trust the reserve, just leave the handle down.

couv

fweber:
Does it matter? With regard to 6351 alloy tanks, it seems as though the scuba industry and even individual shops, like to make up the rules as they go. It makes it really hard on the end user when the government regulations, Agency Standards, and Shop Policies don't align with each other. Specially, when some shops start refering to their Policies as Law, Regulation, or Requirement.

It matters to me as I do my own fills, inspections and repairs. If the DOT regs have changed, I want to be in compliance. As far as complying with some SCUBA agency bureaucracy, that is a different story...

The DOT now requires that 6351 tanks be submitted to an eddy current examination at the time of hydrotesting. Such tanks should then have a VE stamped after the hydro date. Luxfer and a number of agencies recommend that 6351 tanks be submitted to an eddy current examination annually at the time of Visual Inspection. Hope this helps,

A few quick notes cause I am tired repeatly writing this as are some others who are cylinders inspectors.

The cylinders have been over over stamped with 3AL - Legal for the exemption series.

The cylinders are made of 6351 Alloy - some where made under the SP series some under 3AL. As noted all Catalinas are not made from 6351.

Luxfer reccommended a visual eddy every 2.5 years (between hydros).

DOT REQUIRES a visual eddy at the time of requal (i.e hydro) It will be stamped "VE" after the hydro date.

So what to do with such cylinders - first will your local shops fill them? Many will not. A hydro with visual eddy will set you back $20-$30. If your dive shops requires "their visual" which is also part of a hydro add in another $10-$15. A used/new valve $15-$40. So you could be into it for $50+.

Scrap value of the cylinder $20. New cylinder from a scubaboard sponsor (less 10%) $135 and shipping.

Me personally I would probably scrap it at this point. That said I do have one in my basement that I use for CO2 which does require the visual eddy - but I had one done anyways.

divermatt:
Hey everyone. They don't mention J valves anymore in training, at least not in my OW or AOW class. Can you just get new valves? I don't have J valve tanks, just too much curiousity. :dork2:
I know I mention J valves and show one , along with a DIN, during my OpenH2O course. I better, its a possible question on one of the finals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom