Name These Valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tank may have been condemned un-necessarily and been re-stamped. However, I've never seen one like that. I would keep the J-Valves and use them. there is nothing wrong with them and they work as good as any K-Valve. They aren't older than Walter, but he has a steel tank that he uses that is older than he is.

I think sometime in the 80's (maybe 86ish) DOT declared that certain E and SP tanks be overstamped with the 3AL. The E6498 was one of those. I think it was because the exemptions were converted.

If the tank was to be condemned, I believe the procedure would be to stamp out the DOT as well.

Of course, I could be wrong again. :D

You can probably get some decent money for the valves also, to help offset the cost of new valves. There are plenty of people out there that love to dive vintage gear and as long as these are in decent condition you can get something for them.

DennisW:
The tank may have been condemned un-necessarily and been re-stamped. However, I've never seen one like that. I would keep the J-Valves and use them. there is nothing wrong with them and they work as good as any K-Valve. They aren't older than Walter, but he has a steel tank that he uses that is older than he is.

There is no Un-comdemning a tank. The overstamping of E6498 tanks, refers to simply stamping 3AL above the original exemption at the time of next hydro. The destruction of the original DOT-Enumber is indicative of the tank no longer meeting DOT standards. Although, with so many wingnut's around, who knows?

do it easy:
I think sometime in the 80's (maybe 86ish) DOT declared that certain E and SP tanks be overstamped with the 3AL. The E6498 was one of those. I think it was because the exemptions were converted.

If the tank was to be condemned, I believe the procedure would be to stamp out the DOT as well.

Of course, I could be wrong again. :D

See my other post. But, the "overstamping" of E6498 tanks refers to stamping 3AL above the existing exemption number. Generally, destroying the DOT-Enumber or part of it is indicative of the tank no longer meeting DOT requirements.

fweber:
See my other post. But, the "overstamping" of E6498 tanks refers to stamping 3AL above the existing exemption number. Generally, destroying the DOT-Enumber or part of it is indicative of the tank no longer meeting DOT requirements.
Thanks- It's a good thing I don't do this for living! :D

No problems. I only chime in on this stuff because, hydrotesting is on of many things that I do "do for a living".

Please let us know the results of the visual inspection, eddy current test, hydro, what ever they do to check them O.K.?

divermatt:
Hey everyone. They don't mention J valves anymore in training, at least not in my OW or AOW class. :dork2:

Some OW classes still do :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

diverrick:
Please let us know the results of the visual inspection, eddy current test, hydro, what ever they do to check them O.K.?

Will do!

Ber Rabbit:
Some OW classes still do
03.gif
I never learned about the different types of valves (that I remember) in my OW. Although I was only cert'd in 2003 so it is hardly surprising, esp if J valves were pretty much obsolete at that point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom