NACD Instructor standards violation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that TDI? (Your profile is not clear on that.)

My NSS-CDS card has no such notation. If your card has a limit to depth on it, then does the agency have another card that does away with that limit?

Yes, that is TDI. Hence, my view on the meaning of what's written on the card. But if other agencies have limits for some levels and then they disappear for other levels, maybe those limits work in a different way. Probably another thing that should be discussed among agencies.

There are no other cave cards that remove this limit, I think they see deco as a different line of diving progression. And in the standards for full cave they allow deco dives if the diver has at least Deco Procedures or is learning that course at the same time.

I think the no deco limit for Intro is more to prevent penetration (time & distance) and task loading issues. I'm AN/DP and Trimix certified, but I understand that the limitations of Intro (Cave I in my case) is to keep me within a reasonable distance from the exit, and, so I can learn to dive multi-level profiles without incurring decompression obligations. For some folks this is solved with the no stage rule, but large volume tanks, and/or divers with a decent sac rate can get into deco fairly easily with the right profiles. It's also a good "stopping point" for a course of instruction that needs to be cut into bite-sized pieces.

There really needs to be a scooter rule. I could see me killing myself much easier with a scooter than with a deco bottle.

For instructors, standards are a road map for conducting a course safely and within the framework of the system their organization supports. For training agencies standards are a way to maintain instructional unity and eliminate instructors from their ranks for unsafe practices, failure to adhere to the organizational philosophy, or for professional and political reasons. For lawyers, standards either support our actions or crucify us in court.

An instructor would be wise to think about all three of these arenas when teaching any course. In cave diving, we also need to keep landowner relations in mind as well as the preservation of the caves.

When we talk about instructor prowess and "teaching beyond standards" that should start with professionalism. Cave instructors should strive to conduct themselves with as much skill socially as they have with their fins in the water. Because cave diving is always under public scrutiny, cave instructors should set an example for respecting the rules and wishes of the landowners at public and private dive sites. Instructors should strive to keep their students safe, represent their agencies well, avoid liability, and teach in such a way to make cave diving safer and more enjoyable for all, sharing and preserving our natural resources and fostering better community that will improve access to sites and help open new sites for diving.

QitjgDBl.png

Lol!!

Literally laughing out loud--my neighbors in the building must think I've lost it! Some day I'm going to have to visit Florida just to see what all this is about.

This was just posted over on CDF. I about died watching it. I figure it will be pulled fairly quickly so here is the link.

https://youtu.be/Kna8F4s7V-I

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the humor in this. Yes, this particular clip has been used for parody over and over again, but for me the bottom line remains that that monster has been responsible for several million deaths, and nothing that goes on in the cave community today even remotely compares to that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom