my son has a hole in his heart and wants to get his commercial diver license.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolynpp

New
Reaction score
Hi, My 18 year old son has decided he wants to become an underwater construction worker. He has seen a cardiologist when he was younger (for sports), and was told he has a hole in his heart. I have looked on the web and seen so many different comments. I have read that this can be easily remedied, and other articles saying don't do any deep diving. We live in Austin. Who should I go see. My son has never shown any interest in a career before, and loves this idea. I don't want to burst his bubble, but I want us to be realistic. Who should I go to, to get clearance for my son. He swam competitively for 12 years.
Thanks

Hole in his heart? Do you mean a Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO)?? There are a lot of threads on here if you do a search to give you a brief overview, but I agree with the above post. Call DAN, talk to them, and have them recommend a physician in your area. Every time I've called I've gotten the most useful, helpful, knowledgeable people....and everyone I know has had the same experience. That doesn't mean they'll tell you what the two of you want to hear, but they'll be the most knowledgeable resource.

Your son needs to consult with a diving physician who handles physical exams for commercial diving companies. The physical exam for commercial diving is much more stringent than for sport diving. Here is a link to the Association of Diving Contractor's Physical Exam form. It specifically asks whether the diver has had a PFO repair. My bet is that if it has not been fixed, he probably will not be approved for commercial diving.
http://www.adc-int.org/documents/ADCMedicalFormFinal12-1-08.pdf

Carolyn,

I'd recommend the hyperbaric center at Nix Hospital in San Antonio. Their number is 210-223-1145.

Best regards,
DDM

Carol--there are multiple types of "holes in the heart" (congenital heart defects), e.g., atrial septal defects (ASD) (PFO falls in this category) such as primum, secundum, sinus venosus; ventricular septal defects (VSD) such as membranous, muscular, inlet, outlet). Each has it's own implications.

But, regardless of the particular cardiac abnormality, indeed a diving physician who handles physical exams for commercial diving companies is whom to consult. A candidate almost certainly will not be cleared for commercial diving with an unrepaired PFO. Even with a successful repair I'd say the chances are iffy, but I do not know that for a fact.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom