my russian tortoise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My 3-5 year old Russian Tortoise, Donatello, just awoke from a 6 month nap. a little hibernation in my mini-fridge has rejuvenated him. i'm glad he's back. thought you all might like to know that.

you froze your turtle for six months??

will he taste the same now if you make soup out of him?

:wink:

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
My 3-5 year old Russian Tortoise, Donatello, just awoke from a 6 month nap. a little hibernation in my mini-fridge has rejuvenated him. i'm glad he's back. thought you all might like to know that.

Pardon my ignorance, but they hibernate for that long? You just stick them in the frig and that is it? I know more about frogs, chameleons, and snakes but not turtles.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:

Thanks. My day is now complete and I can sleep in peace :wink:

Yup. they are only supposed to be awake for the summer months. In october they stop eating in congruence to the shorter sun cycles. they feel it. its amazing. When he stops eating all i have to do is put him anywhere from 35-45 degrees F and let him snooze. His hibernation is totally dependent on me. If he is sick in anyway he does not get hibernated because of his compromised immune function. I wake him up once a month for an hour or two to weigh him and rehydrate. This is to prevent the effects of possible Torpor, which is incomplete hibernation. in other words, he is sleeping but with an elevated metabolic rate, wasting his fat and energy reserves. its pretty cool

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
Yup. they are only supposed to be awake for the summer months. In october they stop eating in congruence to the shorter sun cycles. they feel it. its amazing. When he stops eating all i have to do is put him anywhere from 35-45 degrees F and let him snooze. His hibernation is totally dependent on me. If he is sick in anyway he does not get hibernated because of his compromised immune function. I wake him up once a month for an hour or two to weigh him and rehydrate. This is to prevent the effects of possible Torpor, which is incomplete hibernation. in other words, he is sleeping but with an elevated metabolic rate, wasting his fat and energy reserves. its pretty cool

Animals are just amazing. Thanks for the info :D Learn something new everyday!

How about some pictures of this tortoise?

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom