my russian tortoise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
When he stops eating all i have to do is put him anywhere from 35-45 degrees F and let him snooze. His hibernation is totally dependent on me.

What happens if you lose him behind weeks of leftovers and he chills for too long?

Green_Manelishi:
What happens if you lose him behind weeks of leftovers and he chills for too long?

he holds his own by taking down the turkey drumsticks and unfiltered beer that share that fridge with him

really, i could hibernate him all year if for some reason i wanted to, but eventually, his energy reserves would become depleted. they lose and average of 2 oz. a month in normal hibernation.

So you can go away and not need a pet sitter. Only have to worry about power failures.

well, any knowledgeable russian tortoise keeper has a back-up generator

of course

:wink:

My 10-15 yr. old Russian Tortoise named "Gorby" woke up last month Feb. However, with this latest rain & cold spell here in LA, I have to place him under the heat lamp for a few hours a day to keep his metabolism up (and prevent him from going back in hibernation mode). I try to feed him natural coarse weeds (always tell my neighbors not to use weed killers and harvest their dandelions & thistle instead), and keep the sugary type fruits to a minimum (i.g. apples). When he gets active in the Spring Time --look out! Gorby "scampers" un-Tortoise-like around the backyard like a Monitor Lizard, tries to "chimney climb" or burrow out from his enclosure --and like's to hump big rocks when he's in heat (absolutely a crack-up & the funniest sight to see!:D ). . .
http://www.centralah.com/russianTortoise.html

TURTLES TURTLES RA RA RA TURTLES TURTLES HA HA HA MMM.....I LOVE TURTLES
Darnold9999:turtle:

Does this work with wives? :D I could wake her up once a month to yell at me, let her expel some energy, then stuff her back in the fridge...:14:

Kevrumbo:
My 10-15 yr. old Russian Tortoise named "Gorby" woke up last month Feb. However, with this latest rain & cold spell here in LA, I have to place him under the heat lamp for a few hours a day to keep his metabolism up (and prevent him from going back in hibernation mode). I try to feed him natural coarse weeds (always tell my neighbors not to use weed killers and harvest their dandelions & thistle instead), and keep the sugary type fruits to a minimum (i.g. apples). When he gets active in the Spring Time --look out! Gorby "scampers" un-Tortoise-like around the backyard like a Monitor Lizard, tries to "chimney climb" or burrow out from his enclosure --and like's to hump big rocks when he's in heat (absolutely a crack-up & the funniest sight to see!:D ). . .
http://www.centralah.com/russianTortoise.html

TURTLES TURTLES RA RA RA TURTLES TURTLES HA HA HA MMM.....I LOVE TURTLES
Darnold9999:turtle:

They are great pets, arent they? In the summertime i take him in my yard and let him crank around. I tape a dandelion to the top of his shell so it sticks straight up so i can always see where he's going. Last summer i started hand-feeding him which blows all my friends away. Its a chick-magnet too. hahaha. dont tell my girlfriend. Watching him walk in the spring time is hilarious. I forget how fast he is sometimes and if i forget him for a minute, he's out of site. one odd thing about him, it seems that he always wants to travel East when he has the chance to go long distance. Does Gorby do anything like that?

dave

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
They are great pets, arent they? In the summertime i take him in my yard and let him crank around. I tape a dandelion to the top of his shell so it sticks straight up so i can always see where he's going. Last summer i started hand-feeding him which blows all my friends away. Its a chick-magnet too. hahaha. dont tell my girlfriend. Watching him walk in the spring time is hilarious. I forget how fast he is sometimes and if i forget him for a minute, he's out of site. one odd thing about him, it seems that he always wants to travel East when he has the chance to go long distance. Does Gorby do anything like that?

dave
Flees to the East? Hmm interesting. . . I'll have to check that out next time I take him to the Park. And yeah Gorby is sneaky: he will lull you to think that he's resting or sedentary, then as soon as you're not looking --whoosh! Sprinting away and gone trying to hide & find cover. And definitely a chick-magnet: Gorby has this funny submission behavior/posture that really charms people; he actually "bows" when you try and pet him. Almost thought about auditioning him for Stupid Pet Tricks on The Late Show with David Letterman. . .:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom