My *new* old Scubapro 109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it is tuned too hot. But you may want to take another look and make sure there is nothing in the barrel that could hold the poppet open. The metals don't have as much venturi effect as newer Scubapro balanced barrel poppet 2nds. With the lack of a venturi adjustment and the smaller exhaust valve, this really should not be a probelm. I have had similar problems on the surface with old Pilots but they have a huge exhaust valve. Once you get a really strong flow going, it can be difficult to stop. I have had to shut down the tank with a Pilot on the surface. My solution was to decrease the venturi adjustment (internal on a Pilot) and be more careful with the purge (a little dab will do you).

Took it off my rig for the second dive and don't have the tools or area to service it here. Will take it apart when I get back home and take a look at it. Will update then.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2015 at 06:17 PM ----------

Any update?
Got off my lazy post dive butt and hooked up the 109 to a pony bottle and tested it. Definitely messed up. Even on the surface if I press the purge it continues with a faint hiss when I release the button. Stops if I just barely turn the adjustment. Press the purge again, faint hiss after release.

One other possibility is you may be experiencing a problem related to an older style lever used with a new style poppet. I really don't understand all the conflicts that can occur but it is a possibility. You might want to play with it a bit (troubleshoot) with the cover off so you can see how that lever behaves. You might want to add ear protection if you decide to do it under pressure. I would be looking to see that the lever recovers smoothly after it is depressed. I suspect that a strong purge lowers the lever much more than a deep breath so you may have to look at some of the extremes of lever movement.

Or you could just install a new style lever and eliminate that possible cause. But what fun is that?

Thanks awap. I had wondered if the lever might be a possibility. It always felt, soft, for a lack of a better term. Like there was too much play in it. Of course, I don't have enough experience to know what I am talking about.

When I get home, I am going to take your suggestion and work with the lever then if needed completely dissemble and start from scratch. Need the practice anyway.

....and you probably know this already, but it bears repeating. ANYTIME the orifice is adjusted you must depress the lever to separate the seat from the orifice else you will engrave the seat.

Nice to read some of those old threads and remember "knowone". He was a character!

uncfnp you might start looking for a new lever, the one with the curved feet. There is a tool to adjust the angle on the feet so that there is a tiny bit of play between the lever and diaphragm when the reg is pressurized, but I've never used it and had such good results just getting the new lever that I probably never will. The curved feet help the lever move smoothly on the poppet tabs; I'm not exactly sure why, but it does seem to have an effect.

Look on the bright side, your first 109 is helping you to learn to deal with the lever problem right off the bat!

....and you probably know this already, but it bears repeating. ANYTIME the orifice is adjusted you must depress the lever to separate the seat from the orifice else you will engrave the seat.

Yes, a lesson I learnt the hard way. You'd think they would explain that very important point in the Tech manuals.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

Nice to read some of those old threads and remember "knowone". He was a character!

uncfnp you might start looking for a new lever, the one with the curved feet. There is a tool to adjust the angle on the feet so that there is a tiny bit of play between the lever and diaphragm when the reg is pressurized, but I've never used it and had such good results just getting the new lever that I probably never will. The curved feet help the lever move smoothly on the poppet tabs; I'm not exactly sure why, but it does seem to have an effect.

Look on the bright side, your first 109 is helping you to learn to deal with the lever problem right off the bat!

I miss knowone...he was a funny guy. Hope you're OK wherever you are.

Thanks couv. I remember reading this but then forgotten. I didn't understand why at the time but now it makes perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom