My *new* old Scubapro 109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Keith. I'll make sure to have it rigged for that dive.

Rarely any reason to crank it all the way down. I usually use 1 to 1.5 turn to make sure it behaves well under my chin.

Rarely any reason to crank it all the way down. I usually use 1 to 1.5 turn to make sure it behaves well under my chin.
True. But I admit that I did not have enough confidence in my tuning so for its first dive I decided to start that way to minimize the possibility of freeflow.

When I found that everything was working, I opened it fully just to see how it felt at maximum, then adjusted it throughout the dive and found that about a 1.5 to 2 felt about right. So maybe I need to tighten the oriface an 1/8 turn? It did feel like it was just on the edge of freeflow much of the time.

When I found that everything was working, I opened it fully just to see how it felt at maximum, then adjusted it throughout the dive and found that about a 1.5 to 2 felt about right. So maybe I need to tighten the oriface an 1/8 turn? It did feel like it was just on the edge of freeflow much of the time.

I would not tighten it unless it is actually free flowing during a dive with the adjuster all the way out. One nice thing about tuning it this way is that when you are not using the reg, there will be a bit less pressure on the seat and the tune should hold better. But you can experiment, if you like it tuned a little tighter that's your decision. This is one of the nice things about working on your own regs.

Do not over tighten due to a misguided fear of freeflow. It is pretty simple, set it for a tiny freeflow with the knob scewed out. The seat will last much longer if stored with the knob scewed out.

I'm not that picky :wink:, Zip-tie is good for me...

Jim...

Ok Guys. I think I got too cocky. I was at the end of my first dive today. Just picked up a dinner for 2 lobster and checked my SPG. Lowish so I get my DSMB ready to shoot, fill it with the 109 that I was using as my alternate. And it freeflowed. Inverted, covered then closed the adjustment. Still flowing. Pretty much emptied my tank. :shocked2: Did I just get it tuned too hot or is it another problem?

That's why the zip-tie is good for me....:rofl3:

Jim....

Ok Guys. I think I got too cocky. I was at the end of my first dive today. Just picked up a dinner for 2 lobster and checked my SPG. Lowish so I get my DSMB ready to shoot, fill it with the 109 that I was using as my alternate. And it freeflowed. Inverted, covered then closed the adjustment. Still flowing. Pretty much emptied my tank. :shocked2: Did I just get it tuned too hot or is it another problem?

Did you flip the regulator over so the mouthpiece pointed down?

I was thinking about your problem a bit more. I am not an expert and hopefully an expert will chime in but if not what I would do: 1) Remove the cover to double check that there is no foreign objects inside. 2) Check the lever to make sure it is smooth and the height is properly set. There is an extensive thread on lever issues when upgrading a 109. 3) If it all checks out then I would tighten the orifice a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom