My Luggage is so SO heavy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi

Contributor
Reaction score
Geez....My first dive vacation with all my own gear and I am seriously over the weight limit.

I had to pack a fair amount of clothes though as I'm off for a month. However, The dive gear takes A LOT of space and is pretty heavy! I am certainly not looking forward to checking my bags in.

For those of you in America, the weight allowance everywhere else around the world is only 20kg or 44lbs (I think) of total check in luggage. I think my dive gear alone probably took up almost 2/3 of this.

If anything, this would be a good reason for me to switch to a BP/Wing and also to look for a lighter travel bag for my gear!

Scram Bulleggs:
I thought it was 44#'s per checked bag?

That is what I thought as well.
I only take one bag as I travel, but from what I have seen there are many people with several bags that weigh 44+.

I'm pretty sure it depends on the airline AND destination as to what the allowance is. Also you have to factor in different carry on regulations at different Airports, I know at Manchester Airport they only allow one carry on regardless of the airlines saying you can have two (yeah there's a *****y story behind that one). Though Airlines from the US (almost said American or US airlines but then realized those are both also the names of companies and might be confusing) do tend to be more generous, esp on international flights.

Always take one suitcase to max 44lbs .And the dive gear is weighed seperatly and is free as long as it to the 44lb limit and not an oversized item.. Plus carry on...

For Those travelling to or from the United States, yes...2 bags at 44lbs each I think.....but EVERYWHERE else (Asia, Europe, etc), economy class allows only 44lbs TOTAL weight and no restrictions on number of bags.
Business Class allows 66lbs in total.

They usually let a few lbs slide.

I usually only travel Business Class if its a long haul flight (Anything over 5 hrs), so it's Economy for me this time. But with so many destinations and 11 flights to take in total....I am a little bit concerned about excess baggage. Once again, it is different from the US which charges a per bag charge. Europe and Asia do a per kilo charge and that charge varies depending on distance travelled. This can add up to a heck of a lot (and at times makes springing for a Biz class ticket more worthwhile!

In any case, I managed to shave at least 8lbs by repacking all my stuff so that the BC and fins fit in my largest suitcase and put suit/gloves/booties and other bits into another light fabric travel bag.

I will Definetely be getting a BP/W setup now....ALL my diving (as many as I plan to do) involves air travel. My wife is pissed as she planned to use part of my baggage allowance to buy more stuff for herself.....having to pay for excess baggage simply makes shopping on vacation silly.....may as well buy stuff at a higher price at home.

Flew from Connecticut to LA, California. It was on United. In Connecticut they allowed 2 carryons but at my Chicago layover, they only allowed one. Same airline, go figure. My scuba bag was 32 lbs. Fins, hood, gloves, SS b/p and singles wing, XS weight belt, DUI CF200x drysuit and turbos, 300g fleece undergarment. If I had placed the regs in there, it still wouldn't have gone over 44 lbs. This is to give someone a little idea of how much gear you might be able to take with you in just one bag. The reg and camera were in my checkin bag.

Most airlines here are 20kg (44lbs) checked baggage and 5kg (11lbs) hand luggage.

Budget airlines can be less (typically 15kg) whereas premium price upgraded tickets can be more (25kg or so).

My full dive gear in a light canvas bag weighs 27kg (60lbs) and thats before i take clothes. Obviously thats without tanks or weights. Some airlines will give or sell you an extra 10kg (22lbs) allowance for diving gear and some dont.

Short haul excess charges vary per airline a bit but typically €6 to €9 per kilo over allowance. Coming back from summer work last year cost me just under €200 one way in excess to get my gear home after 6 months.

As a result, im used to paying excess everywhere i travel.

where i am, they let you take whatever.. within reason im guessing, in one bag marked scuba stuff.

we had 5 peoples snorkel/fins/suits in one bag and we wernt charged anything extra

It's a wonder that we aren't all charged for each pound/kg we weigh over 100lbs!

Oh crap, I hope the airlines didn't read this.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom