My Luggage is so SO heavy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennypue:
It's a wonder that we aren't all charged for each pound/kg we weigh over 100lbs!

Oh crap, I hope the airlines didn't read this.......

Im not all together against that idea !

If a 350lb beached whale of a human pays the same as someone weighing 1/2 that then the other person should get the difference in luggage allowance :)

String:
Im not all together against that idea !

If a 350lb beached whale of a human pays the same as someone weighing 1/2 that then the other person should get the difference in luggage allowance :)
I'm thinking about wearing my six pound backplate on the flight.........and ALL my clothes.

I've recently been looking at new luggage for dive travel. I have a behemoth hardside suitcase that I like to throw gear into....but it weighs A LOT. I've been considering the biggest wheeled duffel from LL Bean....a little over 9 lbs........

How much does your bag weigh empty??

If you are only going to one destination and in the US, try this. Send all your dive gear by UPS and have the dive op return them by UPS the day you leave. Mine costs about $30 each way. Stow your other stuff below in a small roller, except maybe your meds. Costs a little more but it eliminates handling the stuff in the airports.

Garrobo:
If you are only going to one destination and in the US, try this. Send all your dive gear by UPS and have the dive op return them by UPS the day you leave. Mine costs about $30 each way. Stow your other stuff below in a small roller, except maybe your meds. Costs a little more but it eliminates handling the stuff in the airports.
Nope, this trip is down to Roatan. We'd like to bring gear, clothing and scooters too. Excess baggage embargo for Continental kicks in for our return trip. So I'm trying to see how compact I can get everything. :)

FYI: When I got my DSS bp/w it was in a tiny box (about the size of the backplate, only a few inches thicker to accomidate the wing/pro harness) that weighed around 9lbs if I recall correctly. The backplate is 6lbs, and DSS sells plastic ones that weigh under 2lbs.

Just went to Eddie Bauer wheeled duffles. Large is a bit over 6 lb and the XLarge is a bit over 8 lb. Total cost was less than US$150 and a small carry on was thrown in. So, at North American weights I can pack 84 pounds plus my carry on. The only downside is that there is a crush danger for the dry suit zipper and wrist rings. But I think I can pack around that.

Don't know what I'll do for the long mixed dive/business/family trips if we go to the 44 lb rules.

pennypue:
I'm thinking about wearing my six pound backplate on the flight.........and ALL my clothes.

I know people that have worn their undersuits and such for that reason. Less bulk and weight in a case.

I've recently been looking at new luggage for dive travel. I have a behemoth hardside suitcase that I like to throw gear into....but it weighs A LOT. I've been considering the biggest wheeled duffel from LL Bean....a little over 9 lbs........

How much does your bag weigh empty??

I did use a hard suitcase with wheels that weighed 4kg (9lb) empty. I then realised that i was losing 1/5th of my allowance just on the case. Now replaced with a simple zip up canvas dive bag that weighs about 0.3kg empty which is a big help.
Edit:- This bag http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/pages/diving/detail/id=48

Another useful tactic ive noticed is despite 1 x 5kg hand luggage a lot of airlines allow a laptop bag that isnt weighed as a 2nd carry on. So i take my laptop and fill its case pockets up with my dive computer, qualification books and other small items. It means i can at least double what im allowed to carry on with me. Not been caught *yet*

ArcticDiver:
Just went to Eddie Bauer wheeled duffles. Large is a bit over 6 lb and the XLarge is a bit over 8 lb. Total cost was less than US$150 and a small carry on was thrown in. So, at North American weights I can pack 84 pounds plus my carry on. The only downside is that there is a crush danger for the dry suit zipper and wrist rings. But I think I can pack around that.

Don't know what I'll do for the long mixed dive/business/family trips if we go to the 44 lb rules.
I've looked at those.....but really like, uh hum....the colors of the Bean ones better. :D I had to take my gray suitcase out of someone else's hands one time because they thought it was theres.........

I'd hate to have to take my aluminum bp......I love diving the 6lber with an al80 and no weight belt.

String:
I know people that have worn their undersuits and such for that reason. Less bulk and weight in a case.

I did use a hard suitcase with wheels that weighed 4kg (9lb) empty. I then realised that i was losing 1/5th of my allowance just on the case. Now replaced with a simple zip up canvas dive bag that weighs about 0.3kg empty which is a big help.
Edit:- This bag http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/pages/diving/detail/id=48

Another useful tactic ive noticed is despite 1 x 5kg hand luggage a lot of airlines allow a laptop bag that isnt weighed as a 2nd carry on. So i take my laptop and fill its case pockets up with my dive computer, qualification books and other small items. It means i can at least double what im allowed to carry on with me. Not been caught *yet*
Nice bag....how does it withstand all the baggage handlers? I'd love to have wheels. Hate carrying 50 pounds. My double 130s are plenty enough weight on a cold water dive or cave dive.....when I'm vacationing in the tropics it's all about hedonism!!!

I do tend to pack as much of the heavy stuff with me as I can. My two 'vices' are my jet fins.....lord they're heavy....and my 6lb backplate. I hate to give them up.

Eskasi:
Geez....My first dive vacation with all my own gear and I am seriously over the weight limit.

I had to pack a fair amount of clothes though as I'm off for a month. However, The dive gear takes A LOT of space and is pretty heavy! I am certainly not looking forward to checking my bags in.

For those of you in America, the weight allowance everywhere else around the world is only 20kg or 44lbs (I think) of total check in luggage. I think my dive gear alone probably took up almost 2/3 of this.

If anything, this would be a good reason for me to switch to a BP/Wing and also to look for a lighter travel bag for my gear!

I always put the reg. first stage, octopus in the handlaguage, they never checked the weight of it. But not sure now with the terrorist madness maybe it is a possible weapon.....
Else some airlines are more friendly than other. I usually have no problems with Austrian Airline and Eva Air at 25 kg.
If you have to pay overweight it might be extrem expensive.

Back
Top Bottom