My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe a stupid question but i suck at imperial units. 20 feet is the 6m stop? Why don’t you switch to 100% at that point, it gives a ppo2 of 1.6?

I’m just playing with MultiDeco now. I’m going take out those deeper stops and see what happens.

ETA: hmmm...didn't allow me to take out those deeper stops. Still learning the software.

Those are deco stops, you can't take them out. :wink:

The software has calculated the stops based on your expected profile and gradient factors - this is what it thinks you need for bubble management on this dive. If you're looking for fewer or different stops, then you'll need to change the input.

(ETA: this is covered in much greater detail within the Deco Procedures manual.)

You can’t arbitrarily decide which stops you want to do. Well, you can, but the likelihood of you getting twisted grows probably exponentially the more stuff you try and get rid of.

Planning software tells you what you have to do based on the inputs you give it. This includes depth, time, altitude, algorithm, conservativism settings, etc. The software output isn’t a suggestion.

ITT bookwork is done. It’s a cold and snowy day here in the Great Lakes so I’m tucked up in bed with a big mug of tea and beginning to work on AN manual calculations. I hate math, so I’m getting a huge head start on this.

I hate to bring this up, but the math is important. I mean, really important. The good news is that it's mostly simple stuff. Just take them one at a time. I don't know the standards for the class you're taking. But I think that by the time you are diving unsupervised with deco obligations you should be able to do the important stuff in your head so that simple things like data entry errors in MD or your computer are obvious to you, and so you can adjust on the fly underwater if needed.

There are lots and lots of people on this board with more diving and tech diving experience than I will ever get. That said, in my estimation the most important tool you bring with you on technical dives is the one between your ears. Making that tool sharp and workable under pressure (double entendre intended) is crucial.

I hate to bring this up, but the math is important. I mean, really important. The good news is that it's mostly simple stuff. Just take them one at a time. I don't know the standards for the class you're taking. But I think that by the time you are diving unsupervised with deco obligations you should be able to do the important stuff in your head so that simple things like data entry errors in MD or your computer are obvious to you, and so you can adjust on the fly underwater if needed.

There are lots and lots of people on this board with more diving and tech diving experience than I will ever get. That said, in my estimation the most important tool you bring with you on technical dives is the one between your ears. Making that tool sharp and workable under pressure (double entendre intended) is crucial.

A lot of it depends on how the math is presented. I do somewhat complicated calculations at work to determine the percentage of active ingredient in imported pesticides for EPA and CBP regulations (I’m a licensed customs broker). The study guide @dewdropsonrosa did for her own use which she shared with me has been very helpful. If I took AN/DP this year it would be in the fall. I am working 9 months in advance to get a good grasp on the material. How many people do you think do that?

It did not switch to 100% at 20ft because the default of MultiDeco is to switch at 10ft. I know because I just downloaded it to my phone. You have to go into the configuration and change it to 20ft.

Image-1.jpg

Just curious about the picture above.
Do you imperial people measure the partial pressure in bar and not in psi? Do you work with two different pressure units?

Just curious about the picture above.
Do you imperial people measure the partial pressure in bar and not in psi? Do you work with two different pressure units?

No, we don’t work in bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom