My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadly there is no adjustability with that backplate to raise or lower the tanks. Mine has three holes for the top bolt and a slot for the bottom bolt so that I can fine tune the tank height.

You think these are too high? You should have seen them with the standard size BP. Much too low.
Don't know. You will have to try. But from my experience and only the pictures at my disposal they seem high. But as I said, try and you will know.

A few things are important I learned the hard way:
1. the manifold should not interfere when you lay your head back. If it does, you will not be able to assume a comfortable horizontal position in the water.
2. valves being high does on the back not mean they are easier to reach. It may seem contradictory, but I needed to lower them to get a frim grip on the knobs and perform a solid valve drill.
3. The bands look like they could be seated a litle closer to the cilinder neck. It does not look like much, but it counts.

As I said, can't judge from a distance. Maybe this setup works fine for you from the start. Otherwise, try and adjust is my advice. Give it some time (not just 1 or 2 dives) and do some good trouble shooting. Don't be satisfied too quickly. Doing a valve drill with ease is a real pleasure. Doing a valve drill while struggling is a pita :)

I’m in the pool in two weeks with one of the shop’s tech instructors. We’ll go from there.

You think these are too high? You should have seen them with the standard size BP. Much too low.
They look very high. The bands are too low, and the plate (probably) too high. I’d start with the bands and get those into the right place.

Edit: eh, on second look the bands seem ok. Lower that plate.

I’m in the pool in two weeks with one of the shop’s tech instructors. We’ll go from there.
Best way to see what you need to adjust. Get neutral in midwater and don't scull or kick. If your body rotates head down of feet down, just let it happen without correcting. Once you have determined where the current setup balances out, you can start making adjustments.

Double 10 liters are short compared to 12 liters (D12 is the most common double set in Europe), they tend to tilt you forward. A tailweight might compensate, by the looks of the picture you can't place the bands any higher.
Once you have balanced out your rig in the pool, do it again with a drysuit.

What's the diameter of these tanks?

7.25 inches. Same as HP100, LP85, AL80.

I tend to be foot heavy so it will be interesting to see.

I will be in drysuit with minimal undies in pool with them. Otherwise, I will likely be seriously overweighted. With HP80s SM in a 3mm, very overweighted. I’m only going to be diving the doubles dry anyway, so might as well dive dry in the pool.

Good idea, use in the pool what you will be using outside. Drysuit with doubles is very different to wetsuit.

As I do not always use a good "technical" shop to fill my doubles, I like the Vindicator on the manifold. It has more than once saved me from incompetent people that seem to think filling doubles is some type of voodoo magic.
For years, I got my doubles filled at a tech shop. I always left my isolator open except during valve drills. One day they had a new guy at the shop. I filled my doubles and went for a dive on a wreck at 180 feet. I noticed my breathing rate was double what it should have been. Rather than checking the valves, I aborted the dive. During the safety stop, I finally check and found the isolator closed. I was mad at the new guy, but madder at myself for not checking before the dive. I had become complacent after leaving it open for so many years.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom