My first time trying wetsuit...need your help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbdqsony

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I went to divers direct today and was drooling at all suit they have. I tried some out and I really like this one. size xxl but on the knee part seem to be too big?? look at my sexy pic I took with my iphone lol.

Funny thing was that when I put on wetsuit for the very first time I got my left legs in yay then 2nd let I was struggling and thinking *dang* my right thigh might be too fatter than my left thigh?? *STRUGGLING* :coolingoff: When I got both legs in! I was pulling up up to my waist oops I had right legs in right arm part :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I m not sure which one i need 3mm, 2mm or 1mm for hawaii mostly for warm waters?

11.jpg

Don't I look sexy in this??
I think so​

For "warm" water I'm a 1mm person myself, but hard to say what you need. I'd guess at least the 3mm though - you're from FL, so probably have less tolerance to the cold than someone from up north. And Hawaii is not always all that warm, depends on the time of year you are going.

For really warm water (Fiji, Indonesia), I like a 5mm shorty: warm, easy to don, comfortable with a backplate - and I can still feel the water.

For Hawaii, full 5mm or even 7mm in winter - but then I'm a wimp :wink:

get more than you'll think you'll need. you can always open your neck and wrists and let more water in to cool off

i find that a 3mm farmer john (6mm on the chest and crotch, 3mm everywhere else) is very comfortable for Florida and Caribbean diving

but i do tend to get cold easily

also, a 3mm hood does wonders when it gets cold ... that's usually what i use when i dive Florida caves wet

A few months back I was in Hawaii and did a boat dive off Lanai. The water was 74Ž°F and I had a 3mm shorty. On the 2nd dive I was just a little cold, but enough to notice. The next day I did 2 shore dives in a full 3mm (74Ž°F water) and everything was fine, not hot and not cold.

I normally dive a 7mm. So take what you can from my story......

bbdqsony

You sure don't look like an XL sort of guy and the fit on your right leg in the picture may bear that out. Were there any sags of bags elsewhere. Tips of donning and fitting can be read here.

The other posters made 3 very good points.

1. More is better, you can always introduce cooling.

2. Repetitive dives are stressful. If you plan to make a dive a day or less and party then go in your trunks. If you are planning 2 or more dives for says on en then go back to #1.

3. It's not just thermal. It's your protection from sun, stings and scrapes.

Pete

Can't go wrong with a 3mm unless you are gonna dive cold waters (California or up around NY). I agree that you don't look like an XXL. And a wetsuit shouldn't be baggy like that. Granted, you'll never get a perfect fit unless it's custom, but that'll be the day any of us get a custom made suit.

Each manufacture cuts their suits a bit different so a L by Henderson will be a bit different than a L by Pinnacle. Keep trying on more suits!

It's supposed to be snug. Shouldn't be very easy to pull on a wetsuit. Shouldn't cut off all the blood supply either:wink: but it should be tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom