Review Dive Surf Poncho - Perfect for the beach diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I got the Dive/Surf poncho and LOVE it! According to the size chart, I should have gotten the small, but since I wanted the poncho specifically for changing out of wet gear, I got the medium. Good choice. It is roomy and warm with plenty of length when bending down to remove the wetsuit at the ankle level.
Let's face it, there is no easy way to change out of cold wet gear on the side of the street or in a parking lot (beach diver here!) and maintain some sort of modesty. I've often struggled to pull on dry clothing quicky while trying to keep a towel wrapped around me, another one hung over the door of the vehicle, all while making sure "the coast is clear" and out of eye gazes of people (would be so much easier if this country wasn't so skin phobia.. but alas, its where I live). I am able to change out of my wetsuit and into dry clothes with relative ease. The poncho makes this task so much easier and is perfect for this exact scenerio! The soft microfiber helps wick away the wet and aids in drying. The hood keeps the wet head warm and provides some protection from the wind.
The poncho is now part of my gear set up.
Oh! And the price is right too! I've seen similar for 4x the price at the local dive shop!

Yes, this is the one sold by Mako, thus the reason it is in the Mako subforum!

Thanks very much for the favorable review Jenny.

The current ponch extends to about the knees (or below) so I am not sure we want to make it too much longer without getting something that would be hard to walk in on a boat for example.

The current ponch extends to about the knees (or below) so I am not sure we want to make it too much longer without getting something that would be hard to walk in on a boat for example.

That is way too short to change clothing without one exposing themselves especially when struggling with putting on or taking off wetsuits or changing into or out of bathing suits (especially when windy). The Poncho is for changing clothing not for walking around a dive boat in my experience.

That is way too short to change clothing without one exposing themselves especially when struggling with putting on or taking off wetsuits or changing into or out of bathing suits (especially when windy). The Poncho is for changing clothing not for walking around a dive boat in my experience.
Have you actually tried one?

Have you actually tried one?

Different brands. I found that the ones that are knee long aren't practical. I have one that is almost ankle level and it is much better.

Didn't you notice I said:
in my experience

Why do you ask anyways? Are you the gate keeper here or one can't ask without your approval?

Different brands. I found that the ones that are knee long aren't practical. I have one that is almost ankle level and it is much better.

Why do you ask anyways? Are you the gate keeper here or one can't ask without your approval?
Ohhh, touchy, aren't you!
I was curious whether you had any experience changing under a poncho or whether it was a theoretical concern. I wonder if your issue is a skills problem rather than an equipment problem? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom