My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daylonious:
Ahh yes.. and now we know WHY the military record is painfully absent of Pakistani Special Forces successfull sea operations...

lol!

D.

Now that is something I dont know if I can second. As a Television journalist who has been in this region since the war began I have felt that the Pakistani armed forces are more effective in doing certain types of jobs than Americans. Particularly good in dirty jobs. American forces are definitely more expensively trained and much better equipped. The problem is that they are over pampered according to third world living standards! American troops in this region get three cooked meals a day served cafeteria style. Pakistani units move on dry rations. They move for months just munching on dry stuff like dates or peanuts etc. The reason is that most of these local soldiers come from Pakistani rural areas where their diet at home is not THAT different. Dry ration is not something they would consider torture. Plus American troops get sick if they drink tap water as tap water in many places here is muddy. Local population has been drinking that since the day they were born. It has no effect on them.

Similarly, Pakistani Special Forces speak the same language as locals here so they can take off their uniforms put on regular clothes and mingle with local population for intelligence gathering. American Special Forces would get spotted right away if they tried that. Americans have to rely on electronic means like satellite and monitoring phone conversations and then getting these translated into English which is very very expensive and slow.

The other factor is psychological make up. American soldier is a trained FOR war. Pakistani soldier is the product OF war! People who was born into a region torn apart by religious extremism, violent insurgency, bloody ethnic feuds etc. What a professional soldier from abroad would call HELL, they call HOME! Thats why local military units have a higher success rate in catching terrorists than technologically superior foreign troops. Though I dont have the exact figures but of all the people detained in Guantanamo, bulk majority were captured by Pakistani SSG units.

Pakanstani Spec Forces divers - is that like the Swiss Navy...? :silly:

The first post on this thread was enough, but the second dive report...? :lol2:

This is either total fiction, or the guy is having adventures with some wanta' be divers.

Kirky:
Read the initial post 3 times and still cant beleive it !!. Either the poster is a troll or an absolute plonker !!

Couldn't agree more, nor could I have put it any more succintly.

SeaHound:
What led to this dive? I have a freind in the Navy. He is an alectrical engineer on one of the submarines. He asked me and two others if I would like to join them for a dive. All gear was to be provided. I agreed. The boat and the diving gear was NAVY property. I had my basic gear with me like wetsuit fins and mask but thats all I own. On the boat the dive master just asked me if I had dived before I said yes. He asked me a few diving related questions and when I answered He said you would be fine.

I was given a tank which was like less than half! I know this because the diver who was wearing it had spent some time down there. Why did I accept? Because I they just have some way of knowing when the tank runs out (like calculating the depth and time of the last diver etc) and the dive will end before the tank runs out. When I asked the guy how will I know he said you wont be able to breath and you will know. I thought he was kidding because he would not be so calm if that was REALLY the plan.

You know the rest of the story.

This is just nuts, I'm flabbergasted. I'll speak frankly, you had no business doing this dive. We are thrilled you are still with us to tell your story. Save up for an SPG and add this and an allen wrench to your wetsuit, fins, and mask as your new minimum basic gear kit.

There has to be a point at which number 1 is responsible for looking out for oneself.... obviously a redundant skill here?

what realy amazes me is the FACT that YOU got in the water NOT knowing how MUCH air you did or didn't have!!!!! well, i guess that this is one instance that goes to prove that stupid people survive!!!!!!!! i am still astounded that you really did this, what does this have to say for the gene pool? all i can say is that i don't dive with people like this, thank god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DiverBuoy:
Talk about dirt cheap SPGs ... here is a whole series for less than 30 bucks:

$30.00 is for many over in that part of the world, more than a months wages.

Add 2 zeros to that price and see if you would consider it cheap?

Glad you shared the experience with use SeaHound. I'm sure it was an eye opener for you

Not having the funds for the basic gear is no excuse.

At best stick to 40ft with a j-valve and rod, and use it. but this says nothing of the other problems, so is probably moot.

What a bunch of...you guys are.!!!..12 meters....cmon...do not over react!!
A young man in a good shape, trained diver can easily do this even run out of air after 15 minutes!!!
Any military diver anywhere, is trained to survive this (I have had military instruction too, special forces)
Pffff.....

All of you never drive to fast, or take any risk, or do something a little bit dangerous...
This is not a sciba forum...pfff...is there instructor out there, that wants to say SOMETHING!!
I know these things are not for beginners but Cmon...!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom