My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound:
Pakistan is one of only 7 countries in the world capable of building and detonating nuclear bombs.

Well..... sort of. They built 2 that I'm aware of, blew up one to jank India's chain and the consensus seems to be that the other one is a much greater threat to the Pakistanis than it is to anyone else.

They should sell it to the Iranians and do something with their money that gives them better karma.

R..

Xanthro:
Not quite technically true. Pakistan is one of only 7 countries to currently acknowledge having nuclear weapons and to have successfully tested them where the results have been observed by other nations.

South Africa had nuclear weapons and tested them, but voluntarily destroyed them during the 1990s.

Many other nations are capable of building and detonating nuclear weapons. It is known that Israel has nuclear weapons. North Korea is thought to posses them.

Others could quickly build them, Canada, Germany, Austria, Ukraine, Japan, Austriala, just to name a few. These countries choose not to build nuclear weapons.

More countries build both ballastic and cruise missiles than just five.

Now, this is not to take anything away from Pakistans technological acheivements, as they are very high, but too many people and nations place too important an emphasis on testing a nuclear weapon. A nation can be great without having nuclear weapons.

Well there is a difference between HAVING nuclear weapons and BUILDING them. While there are many countries that HAVE nukes, countries that can build them from a scratch are very few in number. Same is with missile technology. While many countries have them, the ones that actively build them are USA, Russia, China, Israel, India and Pakistan. From what I know French and British dont build them anymore as its chaper for them to acquire these from USA under NATO programme.

I agree that building them shows a technological advancement but doesnt necesserily make a country great. It would have been a better acheivement if all these nations developed cure for cancer instead.

Diver0001:
Well..... sort of. They built 2 that I'm aware of, blew up one to jank India's chain and the consensus seems to be that the other one is a much greater threat to the Pakistanis than it is to anyone else.

They should sell it to the Iranians and do something with their money that gives them better karma.

R..

I dont know where you are getting your information but 5 nuclear tests were conducted on May 28 1998. Another test was done on May 30 bringing the total acknowledged detonations to 6.The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) estimates that Pakistan has built 24-48 HEU-based nuclear warheads till the year 2002 with plans to build an arsenal of 100 warheads by the year 2005. Janes 2004 report on Nuclear Weapons and Delivery Systerms of the World puts Pakistan ahead of India in both missile and warhead technology.

Technologically this is pretty good for a third world country with per capita income of 100 dollars but if all this had gone into civil sector instead of military the man on the street would have benefitted more.

It started off as a diving thread :D SIGH!

Are you sure you were diving with the special forces, and not the "very special" forces? Building nukes doesn't mean anything when you cannot build and use an SPG. Wreck diving with these fools is just asking for trouble.

and HEY, leave the sea turtles alone, man.

-V

SeaHound:
I dont know where you are getting your information but 5 nuclear tests were conducted on May 28 1998. Another test was done on May 30 bringing the total acknowledged detonations to 6.The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) estimates that Pakistan has built 24-48 HEU-based nuclear warheads till the year 2002 with plans to build an arsenal of 100 warheads by the year 2005. Janes 2004 report on Nuclear Weapons and Delivery Systerms of the World puts Pakistan ahead of India in both missile and warhead technology.

Technologically this is pretty good for a third world country with per capita income of 100 dollars but if all this had gone into civil sector instead of military the man on the street would have benefitted more.

It started off as a diving thread :D SIGH!

Yikes! That's bad. It's going to take millennia for that kind of karma to wear off...

I won't live to see the day that weapons of mass distruction become a historical footnote but I sure wish I could see the day.

Merry Christmas. Pray for world peace.

R..

SeaHound:
Well there is a difference between HAVING nuclear weapons and BUILDING them. While there are many countries that HAVE nukes, countries that can build them from a scratch are very few in number. Same is with missile technology. While many countries have them, the ones that actively build them are USA, Russia, China, Israel, India and Pakistan. From what I know French and British dont build them anymore as its chaper for them to acquire these from USA under NATO programme.

I agree that building them shows a technological advancement but doesnt necesserily make a country great. It would have been a better acheivement if all these nations developed cure for cancer instead.

No country that acknowledges having nuclear weapons did not develop the nuclear weapons themselves.

While it is true that French and British do not currently build nuclear weapons, that is highly misleading because neither the United States nor Russia continues to create new nuclear warheads. The US have over 30,000 nuclear warheads, and that's more than can be delivered. BTW, France does not have any US made nuclear warheads, the British have a few sub based warheads that are of American Design.

It's a waste for Pakistan or India to make nuclear weapons, as both lack the capability to deliver them. I understand that both have ballastic missiles, and both have missiles that could possibly deliver a modern nuclear warhead, but the signatures of both the Pakistani and Indian tests clearly indicate a non-deliverable weapon.

Now, if both countries would turn these engeries into other matters, both could make great strides. Stem Cell research, computer research, both countries would be far better off.

Pakistan has many bright scientists, but creating nuclear weapons is simply recreating the wheel, and their minds could be put to far better use.

DandyDon:
:hmmm: At 100 ft, would you have nearly 60 psi...?

However, with water coming in - the air inside would reach the same pressure as outside water. That's how we are taught to escape a car in the water - wait until it's full, then a door will open.

Sounds like a great project to work on...! :thumb:

Thanks Don 60PSIA or 45 PSIG since the Sub had 15 PSIA in it (Atmos. Press). The difference is the important point (PSID for that matter).

The car that you are escaping from is near the surface where the pressure is realatively low you are correct that this would work. But even a 5 psi (a depth of 11 Feet) different accross the hatch and you are fighting 1275 Pounds of force. You need a big hole or compressed air or a pressure source to equalize...

What is the name of the book? Sorry if I missed the title in the thread somewhere. Sounds like agood read.

DandyDon:
Yes, it's required training for Padi OW at least, .....

Don, this is not quite correct. It is discussed and an optional skill. Not currently required.

Back to the original thread: What the F! No really! I think there are times when "no thanks" is a perfectly suitable response :)

scotward2001:
The car that you are escaping from is near the surface where the pressure is realatively low you are correct that this would work. But even a 5 psi (a depth of 11 Feet) different accross the hatch and you are fighting 1275 Pounds of force. You need a big hole or compressed air or a pressure source to equalize...

The car window escape trick will work at (almost) any depth. There is a limit though which you can deduce by thinking about the forces involved.

If you read the original post carefully, you'll see that Seahound said that the submarine flooded.

Assuming that they did not plug the source of the leak, the submarine would continue to flood until the pressure inside and outside equalized. It would then be possible to open the hatch if it was not otherwise blocked or damaged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom