My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpbishop,

What kind of puppy is that in your avatar and what is he all worked up about? I can practically hear just by looking at the pic!

scotward2001:
I think they left out some detail here....with a submarine at 100' you have about 45 psi on that hatch so unless the equalized the internal pressure of the submarine that hatch would not come open. (Ex. an 18 inch hatch has 11500 pounds of force pushing in on it) On most submarines you would use an escape trunk not "The main hatch". Just some help for you documentary.....

Well according to the book the submarine rolled over after getting flooded and the escape hatched came "under" the ship. The book also explains using diagrams how they opened the two main hatches but I have not reached that part yet. I think this story has more documentary potential than the Russian KURSK story because we never knew what was happening inside KURSK as no one lived to tell. Here all of them made out alive to an inside perspective is available.

Originally Posted by scotward2001
I think they left out some detail here....with a submarine at 100' you have about 45 psi on that hatch so unless the equalized the internal pressure of the submarine that hatch would not come open. (Ex. an 18 inch hatch has 11500 pounds of force pushing in on it) On most submarines you would use an escape trunk not "The main hatch". Just some help for you documentary.....
:hmmm: At 100 ft, would you have nearly 60 psi...?

However, with water coming in - the air inside would reach the same pressure as outside water. That's how we are taught to escape a car in the water - wait until it's full, then a door will open.

SeaHound:
Well according to the book the submarine rolled over after getting flooded and the escape hatched came "under" the ship. The book also explains using diagrams how they opened the two main hatches but I have not reached that part yet. I think this story has more documentary potential than the Russian KURSK story because we never knew what was happening inside KURSK as no one lived to tell. Here all of them made out alive to an inside perspective is available.
Sounds like a great project to work on...! :thumb:

dpbishop:
You said these were Pakistani Special Forces. I would not put it past some of the Navy Seals I have known to send a 'guest' diver down with a short tank just for a laugh.

I'm still waiting for a report on the dive. How was the viz, what kind of sea life, etc. Should we be making our reservations for Dive Pakistan?

Will PADI be having a specialty course: "Recreational Diving in a War Zone"?

Na ... I dont think they sent me with half tank to get laughs. Its just that their "perception" of what constitutes a potentially risky situation is different from a normal guys perception.

How was the dive? The visibility was 15 ft. Not much sea life. There was a giant sea turtle which I wanted to grab and sort of play with but its shell was slippery. Not many fish except for a few barracudas. We were diving right outside the harbour and thats not the best place for diving here. I have had better dives a few hours away closer to the Iranian border. Best viz I have had here is about 40 feet.

Over all diving in Pakistan is average! Its not like Thailand or the Red sea etc but its not bad either.

ClevelandDiver:
My vintage dives are done sans BC and SPG, but I have a J valve and a very good idea of how long the tank will last at a given depth. I have never come close to accidentally running out of air, but I have intenionally breathed a tank down in a controlled environment (buddy with twin 104s at my side in 20 feet of water on a platform) to test out the J valve.

The biggest challenge in diving with out a BC is not keeping off the bottom (you weight yourself for neutral bouyancy at your planned depth), it is controlling your ascent rate at the end of the dive. I prefer using the safety rocks that litter the floor of the quarry, but an ancor line or extra weight belt left at the exit point will also work.

Of course diving was and is done without a bc. It would be a piece of cake in the tropcs where you can dive in a swim suit. The first divers that I know of to use some kind of bc was cave divers who used plastic jugs or anything else they could shoot some air into because the needed to keep off the bottom at depth AND be able to control their ascent. In a cave there can be many ups and downs and the ascent may take place gradually over hundreds of feet or further. Carrying large amounts of gas (weight) would be a problem too. You'd be just plain heavy.

SeaHound:
Na ... I dont think they sent me with half tank to get laughs. Its just that their "perception" of what constitutes a potentially risky situation is different from a normal guys perception.

How was the dive? The visibility was 15 ft. Not much sea life. There was a giant sea turtle which I wanted to grab and sort of play with but its shell was slippery. Not many fish except for a few barracudas. We were diving right outside the harbour and thats not the best place for diving here. I have had better dives a few hours away closer to the Iranian border. Best viz I have had here is about 40 feet.

Over all diving in Pakistan is average! Its not like Thailand or the Red sea etc but its not bad either.
On top of everything else , you were diving just outside the Harbour. Lucky you didnt end up with a headache. Well good to know you are heading out with these guys again. Its been nice reading youre posts. I'll miss you.

Bicster:
He's okay because he didn't wear his mask on his forehead... :D :D :D

This whole thing is a joke, right?

Awww, if he had put his mask on his forehead when he surfaced maybe he would have gotten the attention he expected instead of the complete calm.

ClevelandDiver:
dpbishop,

What kind of puppy is that in your avatar and what is he all worked up about? I can practically hear just by looking at the pic!

American Pit Bull Terrier. Probably ticked off at one of his brothers, there were 12 in that litter.

SeaHound:
Pakistan is one of only 7 countries in the world capable of building and detonating nuclear bombs.

Not quite technically true. Pakistan is one of only 7 countries to currently acknowledge having nuclear weapons and to have successfully tested them where the results have been observed by other nations.

South Africa had nuclear weapons and tested them, but voluntarily destroyed them during the 1990s.

Many other nations are capable of building and detonating nuclear weapons. It is known that Israel has nuclear weapons. North Korea is thought to posses them.

Others could quickly build them, Canada, Germany, Austria, Ukraine, Japan, Austriala, just to name a few. These countries choose not to build nuclear weapons.

SeaHound:
One of the only 5 countries in the world to produce ballastic and cruise missiles.

More countries build both ballastic and cruise missiles than just five.

Now, this is not to take anything away from Pakistans technological acheivements, as they are very high, but too many people and nations place too important an emphasis on testing a nuclear weapon. A nation can be great without having nuclear weapons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom