My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Oh My God...! I thought I was bad, but surely I wouldn't have made that dive.

Glad you survived without embolism. :11: Ears okay...?

Ya my ears are fine but my chest was hurting and I thought I have ruptured lungs. But when I climbed on the boat everything was fine.

There is actually a method of sharing air with only one regulator. I thought it was tought in most openwater classes. I am not picking at your training; However I am wondering whether the poster, the pakistan navy, and modern divers know how to do this?
Yes, it's required training for Padi OW at least, but at 40 feet - I'd rather do the emergency ascent if I didn't have a deco owing - and I wouldn't even be close to deco without my pony or a trusted buddy with a Safe Second (hate calling them octos).

In the dozen different places I've dived, the only place I saw rental regs with only one second stage each was on St.Barths. My travels have all been in tourist popular areas, tho - they're probly more common off the beaten pathes.

DiverBuoy:
you mentioned you did a dive with the Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. So you have a friend in special forces, they were on temp leave, and wanted to do a pleasure dive. You didn't have your own stuff with you, so they loaned equipment to you including a partially used tank (not topped off), with no dive plan and no SPG, you dove in?

Can you add any background info please, about what led to this dive, communication before the dive, circumstances surrounding the decision. Might as well share it all really, I'd love to know.

What led to this dive? I have a freind in the Navy. He is an alectrical engineer on one of the submarines. He asked me and two others if I would like to join them for a dive. All gear was to be provided. I agreed. The boat and the diving gear was NAVY property. I had my basic gear with me like wetsuit fins and mask but thats all I own. On the boat the dive master just asked me if I had dived before I said yes. He asked me a few diving related questions and when I answered He said you would be fine.

I was given a tank which was like less than half! I know this because the diver who was wearing it had spent some time down there. Why did I accept? Because I they just have some way of knowing when the tank runs out (like calculating the depth and time of the last diver etc) and the dive will end before the tank runs out. When I asked the guy how will I know he said you wont be able to breath and you will know. I thought he was kidding because he would not be so calm if that was REALLY the plan.

You know the rest of the story.

ShakaZulu:
"Pakistan Navy Special Forces Divers" Are you kidding me, something like this actually exists?

Such a thing exists. They are called SSGN here. Pakistan is one of only 7 countries in the world capable of building and detonating nuclear bombs. One of the only 5 countries in the world to produce ballastic and cruise missiles. So "technologically" time magazine ranks it as one of the most progressive countries in the entire third world. Unfortunately most of the technological developments have gone into military sector rather than civil or public life. So lots of high tech bombs but no health care! Lots of smart missiles but not enough schools.

As far as reckless SCUBA diving is concerned, I feel that it had more to do with those guys being military grunts than them belonging to a race or ethnic group. I am sure Special Forces in other parts of the world are not following PADI regulations. :10:

Ayisha:
SeaHound, I'm wondering how this all fits in with your repeated and racist PM's to me around 6 months ago asking if I'm Moslem and "Paki". Is this incident even real? :06:

Dear Sister,

I wrote this to share an experience with fellow divers and not to be an attack on any nationality or religion. I am a Muslim and Pakistani myself so trust me when I say this. As I explained I think these NAVY guys were reckless because they were military grunts not because they were of any particular race. Their training is such that ultimately it will produce a rash and reckless person who will do what his job requires him to do on BARE MINIMUM equipment.

I do however tend to agree with some members on this board that generally in this country, everyone seems to have a "dont give a damn" attitude. I mean every Sunday people in Karachi start playing cricket on the roads in the middle of heavy traffic and cars and busses start driving on side walks etc. I think this attitude is largely "third world psyche" not just Pakistani. If you were to cross the border and enter Afghanistan people would be violating traffic lights and driving over side walks just like they do in Karachi. Its the same in Cairo and other places in the region. Similarly if you were to go to Malaysia (which is also an extremly religious Muslim country) people know that roads are for traffic and NOT for playing cricket!!! Side walks are for people to walk on and NOT for you to drive your bus over! The "dont give a damn" attitude is very "territory specific" not "race" specific as it is seen in other ethnic groups in the all the countries of the same region. It is also not "religion specific" thing either for people following the same religion in Malaysia, Indonesia, UAE etc are not doing that. :05:

Please don't hate me....I am a middle aged housewife (well, no husband) in Hawaii. If you are an international vegabaond you should have no trouble free ascending from a "modified snorkel" excursion. Forty feet will not kill you if you started from an underfilled tank. Are you from the valley? Just kidding...but guys...think about it! Do you really think the Pakistanis are different from the West Indians or alcoholic American dive guides in Mexico? You gotta constantly think for yourself. Forty feet is pedestrian and it does not matter that you ran out unless you are a really new diver. I run out of air quite often trying to get that last shot with the camera. If you use your head and understand the physics (different deal with lots of bottom time) you should not be too upset by this. I admire the fact that you dove with them in the first place. This is how one becomes a better diver, having to think for yourself and analyze risk.

Sorry, I take back the comment about West Indians, that was not nice. I love them, just got loosey goosey with my choice of words.

SeaHound:
Yesterday I had my first out of air situation at 40 feet. I was diving with Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. Totally BRAINLESS GRUNTS! The diving set they had did not have a BCD, SPG and octo/back up reg! Plus the tank that they gave me was already half used by another diver. I told the guy I dont mind diving without a BC or back up reg but how the hell will I know if I am running out of air? the dive master said you will know cuz you wont be able to pull air out of the tank! DUH!

DUH! DUH! DUH!

I'm left wondering who the totally brainless grunt was.... Did you learn anything by this or was it a wasted experience?

R..

catherine96821:
Please don't hate me....I am a middle aged housewife (well, no husband) in Hawaii. If you are an international vegabaond you should have no trouble free ascending from a "modified snorkel" excursion. Forty feet will not kill you if you started from an underfilled tank. Are you from the valley? Just kidding...but guys...think about it! Do you really think the Pakistanis are different from the West Indians or alcoholic American dive guides in Mexico? You gotta constantly think for yourself. Forty feet is pedestrian and it does not matter that you ran out unless you are a really new diver. I run out of air quite often trying to get that last shot with the camera. If you use your head and understand the physics (different deal with lots of bottom time) you should not be too upset by this. I admire the fact that you dove with them in the first place. This is how one becomes a better diver, having to think for yourself and analyze risk.

Sorry, I take back the comment about West Indians, that was not nice. I love them, just got loosey goosey with my choice of words.

I agree with you on a lot of things Catherine. Im not totally mad at them either because I will be diving with these guys again tomorrow at a wreck at 60ft with the same gear. I will try to get an SPG this time so that I dont have to shoot to the surface from that depth blowing bubbles all the way!

The only thing that I think about is that if I was in place of the dive master I would NEVER put a recreational diver down with no SPG and a half tank! To know the risk and take it yourself is one thing and to know the risk and give it to another person is quite another.

Diver0001:
I'm left wondering who the totally brainless grunt was.... Did you learn anything by this or was it a wasted experience?

R..

Two things that I learnt was

1. Not to leave "situation awareness" in the hands of someone else.

2. BCD is an absolutely useless piece of gear! :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom