My first out of air incident!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound:
No they did not command me to do anything. They just had this air of confidence and expertise about them as if everyone KNEW what they were doing.

It's funny, car drivers in that country have the same air of confidence as they deftly weave through streets and intersections with no regard for traffic laws. Then again their traffic accident (and mortality) rates are among the highest in the world.....

I guess it's a good reason not to do "trust me" diving with anyone, especially strangers.

On a related note, did you ever ask them what the peacetime accident attrition rate was for their unit ?

:huh:

The people on this board must be filled with the holiday spirit. My opinion is that the weakest link in this accident scenario was you. If those conditions lie within your comfort zone then maybe some remedial training is in order.

BUT...

Glad you're OK and willing to share a less-than-smart near miss!

I'll bet their pilots aren't taught how to land either.

you mentioned you did a dive with the Pakistan Navy Special Forces divers. So you have a friend in special forces, they were on temp leave, and wanted to do a pleasure dive. You didn't have your own stuff with you, so they loaned equipment to you including a partially used tank (not topped off), with no dive plan and no SPG, you dove in?

Can you add any background info please, about what led to this dive, communication before the dive, circumstances surrounding the decision. Might as well share it all really, I'd love to know.

"Pakistan Navy Special Forces Divers" Are you kidding me, something like this actually exists?

He's okay because he didn't wear his mask on his forehead... :D :D :D

This whole thing is a joke, right?

...removed my "snap out of it" comment...

Ok you put yourself into a bad situation by accepting to dive.
when you ran out of air, it gets worse.

BUT your good instinct tells you to swim up to your buddy to share air (and ascent together SLOWLY).

but then, once you told him, you shoot up for the surface !!

you had done the hardest.

I see this as a failed refresher of your skills ;-)

Plus, there is no such thing as air or no air, it gets progressively more difficult to breathe as you reach the end of the tank, and that's important to recognize, you can then anticipate your running out of air situation, and those 3-4 breaths might make a big difference in reaching your buddy or not (even if he should be within a breath or 2).

SeaHound:
I told the guy I dont mind diving without a BC or back up reg but how the hell will I know if I am running out of air? the dive master said you will know cuz you wont be able to pull air out of the tank! DUH!
DUH! DUH! DUH!

They told you exactly how you would know you were out of air and you were surprised when it happened?

Also they dive like this everyday, why would you be surprised that they were calm about something that probably happens everyday. Seriously the dive is probably over when the first guy runs out of air and bolts for the surface. I imagine this happens all the time there, hence the laissez-faire attitude.

I'm glad you are okay but no offensive they weren' the only brainless grunts that day. Can you honestly say that alarms bells weren't ringing in your head about this dive?

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom