my dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tickle stick thing seems interesting. I just ordered a collapsable snorkel. Those damn snorkels really do get a dive flag live all tangled--found that out this summer in NYC are (never thought I'd say anything anti-snorkel). I won't go with the stick though, as taking lobsters in Atlantic Canada is illegal, and here in NS nobody ever needs a flag anyway.

...//... Those damn snorkels really do get a dive flag line all tangled. ...//....

Flags, not snorkels. Snorkels come with a choice. Flags just suck. Drunk boater targets.

Something like helmets and motorcycles. How about if I just keep a flag stowed in case I have a passenger?

Why fly a dive flag at all? I mean, I know it's the law in some places and all (bureaucratic noise, IMHO), but last I looked, government funding for the Scuba Police wasn't real healthy. I mean, sure, I'll use one when at a park because I'll get thrown out if I don't... And it's smart to fly one if you're going to anchor your dive boat right in the middle of a shipping channel or something... But for the most part, they simply attract unwanted attention, and you're much better off assuming responsibility for your own safety rather than assume that someone else is going to see it - understand what it is - know the laws regarding it - obey them - and be sober enough for all of the above in the first place.

I mean, unless you're diving in 4' of water or in a major shipping channel, you're not going to get run over by a boat unless you're floating at the surface. A simple solution is to not be - to use the anchor rode for entry and exit (thereby using your own boat as a safety shield); or to make sure you're not in any boater's path.

The world is covered by 70% water, and that's just the surface. Divers can also duck. Is it really a problem to not be hit by a boater?

I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law - I just think that taking responsibility for your own actions and taking action to not be where you could be hit by a drunk boater serves as a better safety margin.

I reserve the right to change my mind the day I see an underwater cop writing dive flag tickets. Until that day, I'd rather them simply not even know I am there. It's none of their business.

Why fly a dive flag at all? ...//... I'd rather them simply not even know I am there. It's none of their business.

Most often, towing a dive flag is completely counterproductive.

Diving the popular Shark River Inlet, out of the boat channel, means that every blessed fisherman on the jetty has to reel-in to let you pass. Stupid.

Mandating a dive flag is just an ignorant way to discourage diving and piss off both fishermen and boaters. There are times that a flag is useful. How about letting the diver decide when and where!

Why fly a dive flag at all? I mean, I know it's the law in some places and all (bureaucratic noise, IMHO), but last I looked, government funding for the Scuba Police wasn't real healthy.

Here in FL it's the law and the FWC does enforce it's use.

we do lots of drift dives, and the flag is easier to see than just bubbles so the boat driver can follow and stay close in an effort to kind of shield the divers from other traffic. boaters might run over a flag, but they are much less likely to run over a flag and another boat.

it does usually get left behind though if we are anchored.

Flags, not snorkels. Snorkels come with a choice. Flags just suck. Drunk boater targets.

Something like helmets and motorcycles. How about if I just keep a flag stowed in case I have a passenger?

I've posted this before but what the heck! I had a cobbler sew a dive flag onto my SMB. Two 8 oz sinkers glued together and attached to the bottom of the SMB helps keep it upright when deployed, tension on the line also helps. I keep it stowed until I want to surface then instant dive flag just add air.

The enforcement guys in RI park near the dive sites (state parks) and write tickets as divers exit without a flag. I surface out of sight on the opposite shore and if I spot the DEM enforcement people, I depoly the SMB and swim to the other shore underwater. So far its worked everytime! :)

I've posted this before but what the heck! I had a cobbler sew a dive flag onto my SMB. Two 8 oz sinkers glued together and attached to the bottom of the SMB helps keep it upright when deployed, tension on the line also helps. I keep it stowed until I want to surface then instant dive flag just add air.

The enforcement guys in RI park near the dive sites (state parks) and write tickets as divers exit without a flag. I surface out of sight on the opposite shore and if I spot the DEM enforcement people, I depoly the SMB and swim to the other shore underwater. So far its worked everytime! :)

That is too funny!
I keep a lift bag and will deploy it if i am surfacing away from shor or boat. Dive flags are always targets for idiot seadooers around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom