My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First at-home Physical Terrorism today. Not too bad... I've got a lot of walking ahead of me, and I'm going to need an all-terrain walker for it.
I recently found that Longboat Island Chapel (between Bradenton & Sarasota, longboatislandchapel.org) has used medical equipment available for free. A bit far from you but might be an option. Hope your Physical Terrorism isn’t too bad.

Also check with Lions Club, up our way they do medical supplies donation/distribution in addition to eye glasses. We borrowed a wheelchair from them when my son broke his leg many moons ago. We have also donated crutches from other medical misadventures.

Will your insurance or Medicare provide that?
I believe that they will. I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I took this standard walker out on the acreage twice today, and she did fine. My nephew mowed a strip to the fence, so I now have a fairly level pathway. Finally took a shower yesterday... it was cinch. Right arm and left leg are doing the heavy lifting for now, but I feel improvement all over. Exercises are going well. Nurse removed 44 staples and one suture at lunch today. I also got into the Mach E and let my nephew drive me down to the Suwannee River, then up to Lake City where we indulged in Steak n' Shake for lunch/dinner. Getting out of the car was even easier than getting in. I think I'll be able to swim in another 3 to 6 weeks. I'll let the Doc tell me when it's fine.

My nephew was afraid of his own shadow when it came to repairing things this past Christmas. He was full of "I can't do that" as I helped him to install a cam belt on his Chevy Aveo. I've been introducing him to various techniques, and for the most part, I've been able to talk him through things. When he listens, things usually go well. :D Well, last week the extraction pump on my Kenmore washer went out. Without any appreciable help from me, Ethan sussed out the problem, identified the best way to fix it, and then did the repairs. He even found a broken shock absorber, and fixed that too. I'm out $36 for the pump assembly and $18 for 4 shocks. It worked well for a couple of loads and then water everywhere. :D :D :D He went back in and asked me if he could use an automotive style screw clamp instead of the crappy springy ones. Now he even understands the need to check one's work for permanency. Outstanding. I feel I created a monster. A monster fix-sit man!! His confidence is high, but not too high. I'm so proud of him doing this, and again, almost completely on his own. He's so proud of the clean, clean towels that he's washed, folded, and put away too. Hell, I am too.

Selfie after my first shower yesterday...

1718841722618.png

I really don't want to buy a walker as I hope I won't need it in a few months. I hate walkers! I do, I do, I do! Tomorrow, we are going to Scaff's (local grocery strore) where I hope to try out a grocery cart as an erzats walker.

FWIW, while I haven't weighed myself, I feel definitely thinner. I wonder how much all the titanium weighs???

I really don't want to buy a walker as I hope I won't need it in a few months. I hate walkers! I do, I do, I do! Tomorrow, we are going to Scaff's (local grocery strore) where I hope to try out a grocery cart as an erzats walker.
I don't know if it's exactly the same, but when I had my hip surgeries, my doc wanted me walking, but he didn't want me to fall, and he also didn't want me to use a cane: He specified use a walker at first, and then use hiking poles (bilateral) once my PT and home care nurse gave their okay.

FWIW.

rx7diver

FWIW, while I haven't weighed myself, I feel definitely thinner. I wonder how much all the titanium weighs???
Its density is 4.5 g/cc, so you'll be able to drop an ounce or two of lead.

You might enjoy this video that YouTube randomly recommended to me yesterday. The price is high, but you can't argue the quality of orthopedic screws.

I haven't weighed myself, I feel definitely thinner.
So weigh yourself. I hadn't weighed myself lately before my episode, but I came home at 165# - about 30# lighter for my three months. Fortunately I own a leather punch that I used on my belts. I've put on 15# I think and I may try holding there.

I enjoy encountering folks who saw me when I could barely get around on a walker. Today I shopped for groceries without the electric cart I really enjoyed and used a cashier who'd checked me out a few times and had to walk around to insert my card for me. She didn't say anything about the improvements, but then she may not remember me among the thousand others she checks out each week.

I want to go back to the rehab hospital where I was for around two months and say howdy, maybe right before shift change so I can catch people who treated me on two shifts.

Your reports are great. Keep posting updates, please.

So weigh yourself.
I did this morning... I'm down about 20lbs but still at a whopping 284. I feel puny, but not in a good way. That's close to 50 pounds since Christmas. Yeah, I want to lose, but on my terms. I want to feel in control. My feet always seem to be cold now.

Back
Top Bottom