My 38s Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Lawyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I've been trying to assemble a set of roundy-bottom twin 38's for a while now. I picked up a set for $20 at a garage sale but one of the tanks failed hydro (they only have a born date of 1941. :) ). I have a mint NIB USD tapered thread dual manifold and new reducer bushings from McMaster-Carr.

I can either try and find a matching tank to complete the set (my preference) or find a single tapered valve to make a single 38 test bench air supply tank or ......? Not sure what I want to do but I figured if I threw my predicament out into the universe some alien lifeform would respond. :) Mark

PrATU0.jpg

YGxBaU.jpg

5plK01.jpg

I appreciate the thought. Those tanks have a different bottom than mine, so not a match. But, those are interesting tanks. Someone may be able to fix them up.

Thanks, Mark

Hello all, I am still looking for a mate to this roundy-bottom 38. Near as I can tell the tank is 18" tall (to base of neck), and the neck is about .75" high. It has 1" opening. This one is a USN, born date 1941. 1800 psi.

I have a NIB ½" USD dual manifold and new bushings for putting together the set, just can’t find the other tank (the original mate failed hydro under even the most non-conservative standards :) ).

I sent a message on the above-referenced ad but no response.

Any new leads would be appreciated.

Mark

rBtTLt.jpg

UPDATE!

A number of folks told be about an Ebay listing for a set of 38's. Search currently over for the present. Picked up a set of 38's that look pretty good outside. According to the guy I got them from they were last hydroed and filled in 1980 (42 years ago) and never dove. They still have 1800 psi in them. I checked and oxygen content is at 21% so I'm hoping that means no internal rust. I'll know more when I drain them and pull the valve and bushings out. One has a born date of 1951 and the other 1952. Both are Walter Kiddie tanks. Fingers crossed on hydro. :) I have a good hydro guy that knows how to hydro these old steels so we will see.

The manifold is an original Voit with no reserve. I'll probably replace it with a USD J-Manifold I have.

4bquGQ.jpg

blB7Hw.jpg

With 21%, if it has any rust it should be light.

How do they sound when you hit them with any type of metal object, a hammer will do. Just a light tap. That is called a hammer test, and it should be done on steel cylinders before filling. A steel cylinder should sound clear as a bell. Any substantial rust will make a cylinder sound dull.

If they sound clear as a bell and with 21%, you should go dive them before you empty them. The 1980 air is much better air than you will find now-a-days. That is unless it was filled with a poorly maintained gasoline compressor or something like that, but that is unlikely.

I would dive them.
:)

BTW, You should replace that burst or at least removed them (if you are not going to use the valve). Those lead plugs just scare the heck of me. I have seen of them go. They can do some damage, like a bullet.

Good luck.

Glad you got them.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom