Moving to San Diego from BC - wondering what gear to sell/what to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our warmer socal waters might spoil you BC folks and you might ditch the exposure gear all together!

There are other wrecks scattered up and down the coast but many of them are tech dives and not your simple "these charters always go here" wrecks. It CAN get to low 70s here when you can ditch your hood and gloves!

Wreck alley has planes, old missle silos, a big antenna tower thing, and little wrecks too.

People often dive 7mm wetsuits in the summer, when it's really hot topside and makes life in a drysuit (topside) miserable due to the heat and sweat, but the water temps here justify a drysuit and reasonable undergarments pretty much year round. You may not need a Weezle Extreme (unless you're doing long deco hangs) but you'll use pretty much the same gear here as up North, for the most part. I dive dry year round on boats, but shift to diving wet for shore diving in the hottest months... mostly.

San Diego has a good number of wrecks to explore. Hang onto your reel!

Hollywoodivers is a fantastic dive shop, but they're in the LA area, not the San Diego area. I would look into SDUA as a great shop in the SD area. They have a great all-you-can-eat Nitrox (and trimix?) plan, I wish we had something like that here in LA.

I'm totally ditching my dry-gloves. They were only useful in the winter months here. I'll (begrudgingly) hold onto my abused shell. Good to hear there are wrecks to explore :) Thanks again for all the info!

All you can eat nitrox is freaking AMAZING! That's for the tip off!

Still looking for hints about good service techs - my main concern is finding someone who does Apeks

I am looking forward to checking out the dives in the area. I am *SO* going to miss BC diving, however. I am glad there's a lot of crossover in the critters one might see - I won't feel too homesick:)

I LOVE my drygloves, but not everyone uses them. Actually, I'd guess more use wetgloves than dry.

With my wrist tendons, drygloves are the only way I have dry arms at the end of a dive, so even if the temps don't always mandate drygloves, I wear them. I find thick (5mm+) gloves incredibly onerous, as well, compared to dry gloves. I usually use 3mm insta dry gloves and just live with kinda cold hands when I dive wet.

I'm totally ditching my dry-gloves. They were only useful in the winter months here. I'll (begrudgingly) hold onto my abused shell. Good to hear there are wrecks to explore :) Thanks again for all the info!

There are many who will not dive here without them. My hands never get cold and I'm fine with 3mm wet gloves when I dive dry but my wife wants dry gloves and her hands still get cold with 7mm wet gloves.

If you have them, just keep and dive them.

There are many who will not dive here without them. My hands never get cold and I'm fine with 3mm wet gloves when I dive dry but my wife wants dry gloves and her hands still get cold with 7mm wet gloves.

If you have them, just keep and dive them.

Yeah but there are plenty of people that are happy with just 5mm gloves, right? I'm on the "warmer" end of the spectrum.

Random aside - I'm trying to finish grad school at the moment, so I haven't been "allowing" myself to look into San Diego diving yet....and I'm still doing pretty good....but man right now, I'm dreaming of new underwater vistas. Must be Friday.

Yeah but there are plenty of people that are happy with just 5mm gloves, right? I'm on the "warmer" end of the spectrum.

Random aside - I'm trying to finish grad school at the moment, so I haven't been "allowing" myself to look into San Diego diving yet....and I'm still doing pretty good....but man right now, I'm dreaming of new underwater vistas. Must be Friday.

Just wait until it's Friday... and you're actually here. It'll be much, much worse. :D

(And yes, plenty of people are satisfied with 5mm wet gloves. I wouldn't toss your drygloves until you're sure you're one of them, though.)

Dave I agree HD is good but she'll be in SD that's a bit far to go for a tech service. I'm sure the guys in SD could point her in the right direction.

John

I think a good majority of people here just use 3mm gloves. Occasionally you come across the 5mm and rarely above that. A lot of people do use dry gloves though.

Kate when you get here go to IB Divers ... they service Apeks + any other gear you may have. I've posted before hands down Malcolm and Lonnie are by far the most honest , knowledgeable and seriously professional divers-instructors/technicians you will ever meet in the dive business. Both are retired Navy. Malcolm is a encyclopedia of equipment knowledge and services all of my gear... he is the real deal when it comes to being a "scuba gear head" ...

IB Divers - Diving San Diego, Southern California and Channel Islands for both Recreational and Technical Divers

About Us

Back
Top Bottom