Moving to San Diego from BC - wondering what gear to sell/what to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PrincessOfPower

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong place, couldn't find a general so cal divers area...

Anyways, I am a BC diver moving to San Diego. I am thinking of selling things, like my drysuit, drygloves and my cold water hood. Is that ill advised?

What do people wear for exposure protection, generally, in So Cal?

Cheers,
Kate

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong place, couldn't find a general so cal divers area...

Anyways, I am a BC diver moving to San Diego. I am thinking of selling things, like my drysuit, drygloves and my cold water hood. Is that ill advised?

What do people wear for exposure protection, generally, in So Cal?

Cheers,
Kate

I would keep it all. Most year-round divers here in SoCal use a drysuits. Our water gets as cold as 47-48 at depth with surfaces up to 68 in in late summer.

Welcome to SoCal Kate, yeap like Teamcasa Dave said.... we get the cool water current that BC sends down to us... not as cold but below 40' we will see temps from the low of 47 to maybe the high of 62*f...... so a good share of divers here dive dry, just less underware. I dive wet, but I haven't hit below 52*f yet.

I dove La Jolla Shores last night, it was 52F at 70ft....go ahead and sell all your cold diving gear and bring your 3mm :)

Last edited:
I dove La Jolla Shores last night, it was 52F at 70ft....go ahead and sell all you cold diving gear and bring your 3mm :)

You know he means sell it to him. :D:rofl3:

Ditto, just because the beaches are covered with scantily clad ladies does not equate to warm diving in So. Cal.

A 5 mil or 6 mil wet suit can be a nice change in late summer, but any depth below 60' will still be cold.

Thanks all. Bummer, I had dreams of diving in a 5mm or something :( Do people dive in neoprene suits or is it mainly shells? If I were staying here I would sell my shell and go back to neoprene.

Tell me about wreck diving potential in the area, if you could. I have a primary reel that I am also thinking of selling.

OH! Also is there a good service tech in the area anyone knows of? I trust my guy here, of course, but have had plenty of bad experiences with new people in the past.

Cheers and thanks again!

Kate

I have both, but diving is not diving to me if I'm not getting wet, so I only use the drysuit for boat dives. Let me know when you get here, I could show you the local spots!

Thanks all. Bummer, I had dreams of diving in a 5mm or something :( Do people dive in neoprene suits or is it mainly shells? If I were staying here I would sell my shell and go back to neoprene.

Tell me about wreck diving potential in the area, if you could. I have a primary reel that I am also thinking of selling.

OH! Also is there a good service tech in the area anyone knows of? I trust my guy here, of course, but have had plenty of bad experiences with new people in the past.

Cheers and thanks again!

Kate

Kate, We have a large variety of suits used here. Both shell and neoprene styles.
Wreck diving is not a strong suit here but San Diego does have its wreck alley with two fun ships to dive on. Also the Suejac in Avalon - (You will soon get the humor in this!)

Hollywoodivers Southern CA's best scuba center and dive training facility 323-969-9875 1-877-OK SCUBA is top notch when it come to tech/wreck divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom