Moving to Boston, MA, bring my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are awesome. Paul- email incoming in the next few days.
All- am I missing any req'd gear?
Drysuit
gloves
hood
mask/snorkel
regs
bp/w
weights
light
gamebag? (all I've got are the mesh ones, any good for lobster/scallop?)

Dive flag, its a $50 fine if the local police are running short on the doughnut fund.
If your hunting bugs and fail to show a flag with your permit number, I think it gets much more expensive.
SMB is recommended just in case you tie off your dive flag and need to ascend (not that I have ever done that :wink:)

Cooler full of ice to keep your post dive libations cold. Also should bring a burlap sack or newpapers to lay on top of the ice for the bugs on the way home. Putting bugs in ice melt will kill them, just lay the burlap or newspapers on top of the ice and lay the bugs on that. It's not a bad idea to bring a roll of electricians tape with you. If you don't go out a ton it's kind of a waste to buy a bag of a gazillion lobster claw bands and the tool to apply them. A roll of electricians tape does a fine job at 1/20th the cost. Bugs don't play nice with each other, you'll end up with seriously maimed bugs if you don't band the claws.

Lobster gauge.

Also, didn't see if anyone has already said this, but if you're catching bugs make sure to give the lobster traps a wide berth. Local lobstermen work hard for their catches and are not fond of poachers. The first time my husband and son went diving for lobsters they used a trap marker buoy for navigation before realizing that it could look like they were stealing from the trap!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips. And thanks for pointing out the fins! That could've been bad. I'm sure you guys will get another post from me when I get situated and start to work on finding shore diving spots. Are there no "off-limits" type places like there are here in CA? They have all kinds of marine protected areas, state parks, state conservation areas etc. I'm not talking about trespassing thru private property. Leaving in T-minus 5 days (but 3 are in San Diego dropping off more stuff...)

Are there no "off-limits" type places like there are here in CA?...)

If I find you in my "Secret Honey Hole" you and me are going to have a problem... :D

If I find you in my "Secret Honey Hole" you and me are going to have a problem... :D

Aside from PTN's secret honey hole, there aren't any prohibited areas for diving or fishing that I know of off the top of my head. Some areas aren't very diver friendly for various reasons (parking, hostile locals, etc). There are some prohibited wrecks (mainly those in Stellwagen National Marine Sanctuary) where you can't take any artifacts. Aside from that, it's pretty much open game.

If you plan on doing any shore diving, there is a book on shore diving in Cape Ann that I recommend. As for the title, I'm not sure , but most of the shops carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom