Moving to Boston, MA, bring my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You evidently are not a fully certified dive-aholic. New England has some pretty nice dives. I have packed my dry suit and all my gear including pony (except full sized tanks and weights) on a plane 2-3x a year to dive there when business takes me back to NH. I would pack my gear in the car and ship the extra's (clothing, keepsakes, wife, mistress, kids, etc..) via UPS. Keep your priorities straight :)

Heh, I'm keeping my addiction in check right now. Lately it's been reigned in by kayaking and freediving, but apparently that will all change. Sounds like I might as well bring my drysuit one way or another. Do shops around Boston rent anything other than AL80's? I'm afraid I burn through those pretty quick on the drysuit. Thanks for all the help guys, keep an eye for me posting a dive-buddy-wanted type ad in the coming months (weeks?). Does diving shut down during the winter due to viz or storms or the such? Or is it only the cold? In Monterey, you get the best viz during the winter since algae blooms quit happening.

Good choice! No real algae to contend with in the summer, but parking can be an issue due to local laws (some lots are for town folks only). This makes fall the best season IMO. Winter does bring storms, so its a timing issue than pure cold. Tides play a role in ease of access on the more rocky entries. Sometimes it pays to be aware of the direction of the waves and choose another more sheltered location, you have sites with 3 different directions of exposure so you can pick and choose you sites based on weather.

As a guy who used to work and dive in Monterey - Cape Ann will resemble parts of Monterey both in terms of scenery and diving. When you go to Gloucester make sure to drive around Rocky Neck towards Good Harbor Beach. It looks like a mini-17 mile drive. There is also an abundance of seafood. Most of it fried. And some of the denizens around Gloucester resemble the characters from Steinbeck's Cannery Row & Sweet Thursday. The Old Cannery and harbor reminders of days when fishing was the King. There is also tons of kayaking and road cycling in the adjoining towns like Essex, Ipswich & Hamilton. In short there are tons of things to do at the Cape Ann until winter sets in. And this is during Dec-March.

On a good day the water will be clear like Monterey but minus the large amount of marine life and kelp/coralline algae you would find in Monterey. The diving is IMO shallow, and uniform. The uniform meaning that it's rare to see a large pelagic animal on a dive, or heavy duty concentrations of marine life you might see at Lobos, Monastery etc. The negative part of the diving here is that it's not as well supported as it is in Monterey. There is one small dive store in Gloucester and they are somewhat basic ; meaning nitrox, tech are things they do not embrace. They're nice though. It also makes sense to know where you dive. Especially bypassing Lanes Cove which is guarded by some fairly disturbed people who claim it as their own + lobster traps.

As per exposure protection - I always dive a drysuit. And should you want to brave January/Feb/March - dry gloves help. And you can be guaranteed that the only person diving the area will be you and on rare cases the occasional super tuff/wicked divers. Probably someone who frequents this board. :)

SCUBA Regulations for Recreational Lobster/Crabbing | Massachusetts Saltwater Fishing Guide | eRegulations.com

No spearfishing in MA. I don't lobster, but most of my shop does. They often make the limit.

You mean no spearfishing for lobsters don't you?

The taking of striped bass by any means other than hook and line. No spearing striped bass either.

Massachusetts Marine Artificial Reef Plan
... diving activities in the state's waters include wreck diving, shellfish and lobster
collecting, underwater photography, spearfishing, and observing the ...

There very much is spearfishing here in Mass. I do not understand where this mis-information may be coming from? I have been spearing here for year. I'm even part of a spearfishing club that is based here in Mass. The big no-no fish for inshore is striped bass. But there's nothing wrong with spearing for other species like flounders, tog, scup etc. As long as you have a saltwater permit and follow the same regulations as the rod and reeler's you are fine.

WOohoo, more opinions. I think I'd have to say the big choice for me is DS vs wet. The wetsuit definitely takes up less room, both in the car on the way over as well as in the apt. I'm not 100% sure what my storage space in the apt is looking like, so I'm not going to be too optimistic about it. The regs, fins and bp/w all fit in to one nice storage box that's not too hard to deal with.

Store everything under your bed.....that is lost space anyway. On the plus, you get to keep everything AND if you dive enough you will never get dust bunnies forming under there :wink:. I feel for you and your situation but I know I would do all in my power to find a way to keep all my dive gear....IMO, moving to the NE, I would definitely keep the DS if you have to choose. That you can dive year round......a WS you can't.

We dive Summer/Fall in both Midcoast Maine and MA in 7mm's. I've never found water temp to be an issue, and as long as either the sun is out or it's over 55-60 we don't get cold between dives. :)

Alright, I think you guys sold me on bringing the DS. So my current list:
Jet fins
BP/W w/ weight
regs
DS

I'm really toying with the idea now of trying to fit one of my steel HP100's in the car...I definitely wouldn't be bringing both, and I'd rather bring the 100 than a steel 80 soooo maybe it'll fit? That should do it for bare minimum diving gear right? Other than gloves, mask, snorkel knife game bag light etc. Gosh...the list is growing......

There very much is spearfishing here in Mass. I do not understand where this mis-information may be coming from? I have been spearing here for year. I'm even part of a spearfishing club that is based here in Mass.

Can you provide that statute on this. I've heard that it is illegal, even from shops who sell spearfishing gear. I've scoured the web looking for citations, one way or the other, but even the MA Division of Fisheries and Wildlife web site was no help (surprise!). Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom