Moving to Boston, MA, bring my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
So I'm moving from Monterey, CA over to Boston in a few weeks. Space is limited, so I can't bring my entire suite of gear, but is it worth bringing anything? Are there any decent shore diving adventures within close driving range and/or is it possible to get some of these tasty lobsters I've been hearing about? I'm really interested in those...

For what it's worth, I dive a BP/W usually and have both a 7mm suit and a drysuit, but definitely can't bring both. I'm leaning towards just bringing regs, bp/w, and a wetsuit, leaving me renting tanks. This sound good to you guys? Hopefully I'll get out and dive with a few of you. Cheers!

Thanks Malpaso. You don't happen to have any info on spearfishing (tanks or freediving) or lobstering, would yoU?

Welcome to New England. Water temps will probably feel similar to Monterey, but depends on where in New England you dive and how deep. Deeper dives (90+ft) north of Boston will be in the mid-40s even during the summer. Expect low-high 50s at shallower depths below the thermocline (say 30-80). Water temps stay pretty warm into early Oct. By the end of winter.....water will be in high 30s/low 40s regardless of depth depending on how cold things have been. So perhaps that would be worthy of bringing the drysuit...but depends on you. If your main goal is spear-fishing (more opps to do this in RI) and lobstering...wetsuit might be a better choice. Water temps south of Cape Cod can be up to 10 degrees F warmer.

Shore diving = yep, plenty of it and decent water access up on Cape Ann (just avoid ornery lobstermen). Towing a flag is the law......and you have not truly been initiated to New England/MA shore diving until you've encountered a 10 pot lobster array with a dive flag :)

Tank are easily rentable from various shops here....just depends on where you end up living/diving. There are good LDS choices in greater Boston (Somerville/Brookline), north shore (Gloucester, Beverly), south shore (Weymouth, Marshfield, Plymouth), Metrowest (Natick) and farther afield. Most will rent both K-valve or DIN tanks, both steel/AL and 80s/100s...but worth calling ahead. Not all pump Nitrox. BP&W = great choice for New England!

Clubs = there are quite a few clubs around...good way to meet other divers. Most shops have an affiliate club or group diving program. There are also several stand alone clubs (north shore frogmen, metrowest dive club, New England Aquarium dive club.

Hope this helps - hope to see you out there soon!

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris. Hope to see you on the water.

When you say space is limited for you to bring your gear. Do you mean the way of transporting it here? If that is the case just have it shipped.
It has got to be more expensive to re-purchase gear later on if you decide to dive alot. Now if it is a problem that you won't have space in your new apartment that's a different situation.

Bring everything, I did the sell and repurchase. A big regret.

The D/S makes diving at least 8 months if not all year. A wetsuit is good for maybe 3-4 months a year and that's pushing it in Ma.

The diving is different from NoCal, but very worthwhile. I agree with others, the tanks can be rented if space it tight.

WOohoo, more opinions. I think I'd have to say the big choice for me is DS vs wet. The wetsuit definitely takes up less room, both in the car on the way over as well as in the apt. I'm not 100% sure what my storage space in the apt is looking like, so I'm not going to be too optimistic about it. The regs, fins and bp/w all fit in to one nice storage box that's not too hard to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom