Moving to Boston, MA, bring my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd ship the drysuit, or whatever stuff makes the most sense to ship, if there's not enough room in your car. If you decide you really don't have room to store it or won't actually use it, I'd think you could find a local buyer. But if you have a suit you like seems a shame to punt it when you're coming here.

Guess I should've been more clear earlier too. Any of the dive gear I don't bring over will just go in to storage at my folk's place for at least a few years. This includes my 2x steel 100's, 2x steel 80's and some extra weights/regs. I'm on the fence also about bringing my pony over in the car.

You've got to make the call based on comfort. The water in New England is not ever going to be warmer than it is in Monterey and the air will frequently be either much, much warmer or much, much colder. If diving is a year round pursuit for you, the wetsuit is a complete non-starter. If you're happy to dive only in the late summer/early fall when the water is warm and the air is warm, the wetsuit may be an option.

As I mentioned above, I've dove year round in a 7mm wet. That includes New Years Day dives as well as August dives. YMMV but it can be done, comfortably.

Ooof, you're brave. I won't dive New England wet it in the middle of August.

Heh, not brave at all. Actually I hate being cold and wet, but have no issues diving cold water for some reason. Also, I don't feel I have enough experience (or money) to dive dry :D

Heh, not brave at all. Actually I hate being cold and wet, but have no issues diving cold water for some reason. Also, I don't feel I have enough experience (or money) to dive dry :D
Dry is overrated. If you are only doing one dive then wet is fine. This time of year [until late sept.] 7mm might even be a little warm unless you are going deep.

As I mentioned above, I've dove year round in a 7mm wet. That includes New Years Day dives as well as August dives. YMMV but it can be done, comfortably.

Jan dives wet in Boston, that is how they make popsicles.

I have done it too, 50,000BTU infra red propane heater helped a bit. Second dives was not so fun.

I've shipped my drysuit a few times for service.....it it doesn't fit in the car....it will probably cost you less than $20 to ship, even with insurance.

Guess I should've been more clear earlier too. Any of the dive gear I don't bring over will just go in to storage at my folk's place for at least a few years. This includes my 2x steel 100's, 2x steel 80's and some extra weights/regs. I'm on the fence also about bringing my pony over in the car.

You evidently are not a fully certified dive-aholic. New England has some pretty nice dives. I have packed my dry suit and all my gear including pony (except full sized tanks and weights) on a plane 2-3x a year to dive there when business takes me back to NH. I would pack my gear in the car and ship the extra's (clothing, keepsakes, wife, mistress, kids, etc..) via UPS. Keep your priorities straight :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom