Mounting a bottom-connect SPG directly to an HP port & HP spool-bore dia.?.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering mounting a standard, bare, bottom/spool-mount (not rear-mount pony-style) SPG to an HP port splitter with standard female HP ports (not spool compatible) by installing an HP port o ring on the SPG nipple .

Does anybody know that it can or can't work?

I'd also like to put that port splitter at the end of an HP hose. What is the spec for the bore that a spool inserts into?

TIA

It will not work. Use a short hose (with a spool) or go to a button gauge designed for this.

It will not work. Use a short hose (with a spool) or go to a button gauge designed for this.
Thanks.

I'm looking to run my HP hose over the the L shoulder and run both an SPG and AI transmitter on the end.

Even the larger rear-mounted SPGs are only about 1"; I was hoping for a 1.5" for older eyes...

@JackD342

I have 2 HP ports on my 1st stage
The desire is to have the transmitter on the end w/ a QD.
1) Transmitter is not an accidental handle
2) Transmitter is closer to computer for better signal reliability
3) Transmitter can be popped off to move to another rig.
4) A QD to DIN male can be substituted for a compact, if slow, Pony transfiller.

It may all be a bit unneccessary, but I am a tinkerer ...

@JackD342

I have 2 HP ports on my 1st stage
The desire is to have the transmitter on the end w/ a QD.
1) Transmitter is not an accidental handle
2) Transmitter is closer to computer for better signal reliability
3) Transmitter can be popped off to move to another rig.
4) A QD to DIN male can be substituted for a compact, if slow, Pony transfiller.

It may all be a bit unneccessary, but I am a tinkerer ...

Did you ever find a solution to running your SPG and AI on the same HP Hose?

The consensus is not to do it.

There are Y-splitters and adaptors, but doing so adds no value.

Not off the shelf ...

I took a swiveling "y" style HP port splitter (Of the style avaialble from Piranha, XS Scuba or Omni-Swivel). Bored out the inlet hole to accept a spool and reversed the orientation of the "y" so that it angles back.

I mount the modified adapter to a hose with a spool as you would a standard SPG or console, a button gauge to the side "y" port, and the transmitter to the straight/end port. I'm using a color-coded button gauge so it is good enough as a backup even if I need to move it away a bit to read the numbers.

@rsingler gave me the original idea... I run a hose off the first stage over my shoulder that feeds a small block/splitter. I have a button gauge on the block at 90 degrees to the axis of the hose, and a transmitter on the long axis of the block splitter (I use a QD on the transmitter)

I think I got the hardware from Randy (Piranha).

I'll post a pic later when I get home... Or Rob can if he sees this...

@rsingler gave me the original idea... I run a hose off the first stage over my shoulder that feeds a small block/splitter. I have a button gauge on the block at 90 degrees to the axis of the hose, and a transmitter on the long axis of the block splitter (I use a QD on the transmitter)

I think I got the hardware from Randy (Piranha).

I'll post a pic later when I get home... Or Rob can if he sees this...
Sure ... show photos ... shessh! :wink: Actually, good idea.

This is the adapter I used from Piranha: High Pressure
High-Pressure-Y-Adapter-wStandoff12585-8448.jpg

Here are a couple views with hose, gauge, and transmitter assembled.

IMG_20230802_171703283.jpg

Rough POV:
IMG_20230802_171654397.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom