Most optimal deco regulator for 80%/100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard about diaphragms and o2 issues, as well. Not sure if its a 'real thing' or not, but I don't want to be the joker that finds out it IS a real thing.

The 1st stage is only flowing gas at the rate the 2nd stage demands, so having higher flow does not equal faster moving O2 in practice. I like MK2s; they're very simple and have good cold water performance. One thing nice about the design is that there are no dynamic o-rings in the HP chamber; this might have at least a theoretical advantage in o-ring life for 100% O2. I have no idea how a swivel could be installed on a MK2; the body with HP chamber and LP ports is one piece of brass.

If you want a swivel, why not consider an older MK5? You can find many of those with 2 LP ports for next to nothing, and the lighter yoke is not a problem with 2400 PSI.

I'd sure consider using a 109 for a 2nd stage; bulletproof and simple, and great breathers.

I have no idea how a swivel could be installed on a MK2; the body with HP chamber and LP ports is one piece of brass.

It's easy with these
1126-2799.jpg

allows the hoses to tuck nice and close to the tank, yet move around freely when needed.

they are fairly inexpensive too.

The 1st stage is only flowing gas at the rate the 2nd stage demands, so having higher flow does not equal faster moving O2 in practice. I like MK2s; they're very simple and have good cold water performance. One thing nice about the design is that there are no dynamic o-rings in the HP chamber; this might have at least a theoretical advantage in o-ring life for 100% O2. I have no idea how a swivel could be installed on a MK2; the body with HP chamber and LP ports is one piece of brass.

If you want a swivel, why not consider an older MK5? You can find many of those with 2 LP ports for next to nothing, and the lighter yoke is not a problem with 2400 PSI.

I'd sure consider using a 109 for a 2nd stage; bulletproof and simple, and great breathers.

Thanks halocline, I was thinking about 109, can the parts still be sourced ?

I am not really that concerned about swivels. I have been using my FHVI on staged for about 3 years now. I have never noticed any issues with the hose pulling on the second stage. In those 3 years I had to replace only 1 hose because the outer rubber shell cracked at the place it bends. The hose itself was intact though.

For me the swivel introduces another potential headache with the swivel bolt....

---------- Post added April 8th, 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

It's easy with these
1126-2799.jpg

allows the hoses to tuck nice and close to the tank, yet move around freely when needed.

they are fairly inexpensive too.

Looks like it can work nicely on the MK2.... I use one of those (1 to 3) on the RAM.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 12:22 AM ----------

One thing nice about the design is that there are no dynamic o-rings in the HP chamber;

I think this is an excellent point... thanks...

Last edited:
It's easy with these
1126-2799.jpg

That's just a hose adapter (I'm sure you know that), not a "swivel turret" which is what I thought the previous poster was asking about. I would see zero reason to install one of these on a deco reg; just use an appropriate length hose.

I still have a few conshelfs kicking around. I would have kept them in use, but the hose routing sucks and it is very hard to find a din conversion kit. The apeks dst has an unsealed sister (ust). They are less expensive and all of the service parts are the same.

That being said, the dst would work fine if the enviro seal and pushrod were removed. It would also make ip adjustments possible without any disassembly.

If you are ever heading up to tobermory, swing by my shop, i will show you my fill station. :)

That's just a hose adapter (I'm sure you know that), not a "swivel turret" which is what I thought the previous poster was asking about. I would see zero reason to install one of these on a deco reg; just use an appropriate length hose.

To be Fair your post only said "swivel" not "swivel Turret". Though I agree it might not be needed in some case, if you have a few hoses on a Bailout/Deco Tank, they can be helpful to tuck the hoses out of the way, as to not snag on anything, this is especially true on a MK2.

I still have a few conshelfs kicking around. I would have kept them in use, but the hose routing sucks and it is very hard to find a din conversion kit. The apeks dst has an unsealed sister (ust). They are less expensive and all of the service parts are the same.

That being said, the dst would work fine if the enviro seal and pushrod were removed. It would also make ip adjustments possible without any disassembly.

If you are ever heading up to tobermory, swing by my shop, i will show you my fill station. :)

I sure will. I heard on OD you ve got your own station! Thats great!

The most common Deco Reg, 100% (I don't teach 80%), we do is the Dive Rite O2 Deco Reg followed by Hollis 02 Regulator . I prefer the setup (hose & gauge routing) on the DR better but both are reliable and at great price points.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 04:01 PM ----------

Oh yeah, both come DIN with gauges and 40" hoses!

So after doing more research I have pulled the trigger on a DIN MK2 Plus which I plan to pair with an S600 that I already have.

I really liked the fact that the unbalanced piston has no dynamic o-ring exposed to high pressure. The reg also looks bullet proof.

Does anyone know what changes were implemented in Plus model vs. regular MK2 ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom