Most optimal deco regulator for 80%/100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A) DIN. It just makes that o-ring more reliable, something you want in a deco reg.
B) A swivel turret on the 1st stage. It's amazing how much strain this takes off your mouth.
C) Something that has parts commonality with all your other stage and backgas regs, thus reducing the PITA factor when overhauling.
D) A 1st stage that has the HP port on the "bottom" of the reg, otherwise the SPG is inverted.

All my regs are Atomics, so it's a no-brainer for my 70' and 20' bottles to have M1 regs on them, as it fills all the above shopping list - and I really, really like the Monel (very oxygen-compatable) parts in them.

All the best, James

Drop the O2 percentage to 80%, now they are good to 300PSI. HOG does not recommend there regs to be used over 2400PSI with 100% O2 no mater what you do to them. I believe this goes along with CGA standards and CGA does not recommend any reg be used over 2400PSI with 100% O2, This is at least how it was explained to me. I know the medical industry keeps O2 pressures below 2400PSI and they deal with oxygen way more than the dive industry does.

I had heard this before too but was unable to find any information looking through my IANTD Tao book or any other books for that matter. I do not have the HOG reg book though. Thanks for this info.

Stick w/your Apeks, just make sure it's [both 1st & 2nd stages] rated or converted [Viton 'O' rings] for the higher O2 levels you mentioned.....I used to be an Apeks user and never had a problem w/them.....I switched to HOG for the quality, price, parts, port configuration and self-maintenance policy....But Apeks, is a good solid Co......I used their DST's, DS4's, Tech's, XTX50's, 100's and some of their octo's, for deep/deco and cave diving...They all performed well......

Do you mind telling me what reasons? I have a set I plan to use for this.

---------- Post added April 8th, 2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

If 2400psi out of the box what does it take to make it 3000psi?

The reasons are simple.
They are not represented locally
I have a good LDS that represents SP and Apeks
The teams I dive with mostly dive SP and Apeks and some of them are techs so it is easier to source parts

So having a HOG add no extra value for me

a couple of things to consider:

you will be spending a good deal of time on this reg, so get a comfy one

what other regs do you already own? perhaps stay in the same make and model to make field repair and service easier

I now have Zeagle FH vI/ZX, Apeks Tek3/xtx50 and ATX 50, SP MK25/G250v
So you would recommend just get another G250V if I go with MK2?

So if I go with MK

I like the MK2 - R295/395 for Deco/Stages

1. Inexpensive (it it were to get bashed around and damaged)
2. Very simple design, and few moving parts
3. Light weight
4. available in DIN
5. the R295/395 can have the hose adjusted from left to right depending on how it's going to be "sligned".
6. if you add a low pressure swivel adaptor you get get the hose to tuck in very nicely just like a turret regulator but for a fraction of the cost.

The Subgear Aruba is a MK2/R295, in Canada it's available only as Yoke, though it can be converted to DIN using the Scubapro Kit. So this would be worth considering too for the same reasons.

Those are the reasons I have hear before and this is what makes sense to me. Given the fact tht the regs does not need to provide high flow.

I would stick with the apeks. I use their first stages exclusively. Out of the box, they come with epdm o-rings. Also, they are easy to resell if need be. The ds4/dst regs are super simple to service with the only special tool being a hook spanner readily available.

Another advantage to the apeks is all the parts kits are the same on most models.

I would stick with the apeks. I use their first stages exclusively. Out of the box, they come with epdm o-rings. Also, they are easy to resell if need be. The ds4/dst regs are super simple to service with the only special tool being a hook spanner readily available.

Another advantage to the apeks is all the parts kits are the same on most models.

Hey Graeme how are you?, have you sold all your Conshelves ? :wink:

---------- Post added April 8th, 2012 at 11:07 PM ----------

Stick w/your Apeks, just make sure it's [both 1st & 2nd stages] rated or converted [Viton 'O' rings] for the higher O2 levels you mentioned.....I used to be an Apeks user and never had a problem w/them.....I switched to HOG for the quality, price, parts, port configuration and self-maintenance policy....But Apeks, is a good solid Co......I used their DST's, DS4's, Tech's, XTX50's, 100's and some of their octo's, for deep/deco and cave diving...They all performed well......

The reason why I'm still on the fence regarding the diaphragms in general and Apeks in particular is that they seem to have more complex flow paths compared to a flow by piston reg, and have more "fuel" inside in a form of a diaphragm which I guess is a minus for an O2 reg and they move the gas faster (almost twice according to the specs). I realize that fact that the expansion of the gas works as a cooler, and I can always take the enviro seal off so the water would cool the diaphragm.

I might be over thinking it though. I know people use them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom