Most liberal modern computer,deep and multi day.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Looking to have more modern features without losing bottom time.Currently diving a Skinny Dipper.Tried it against a few computers years ago and they all penalized me heavily on multi dive multi day trips,even when the PO2 was maxed out.Even the supposedly liberal Oceanics gave me much less bottom time and much more deco after the third or fourth dive.The Cochrans were good too but I don't know if their current algorithms are similar to the older ones.Depths are 100 to 180.Runtimes are generally <25 min.TIA.

You want that shearwater, and set it to any deco settings you want. But I'm curious, why bother? You have thousands of dives, you know what your body can handle....

I've been running Buhlmann 40/85 with 32%. On liveaboards doing five dives daily, the slow compartments are only mildly elevated after several days, certainly not enough to cause any concern.

Thanks Frank,I'd like some download capability and better screens.My eyes had me switch from EDGEs to Marathons and Skinny Dippers and they work fine now but I see a trend.

Ron,thanks.I'd run a bunch of old dives I'd written down on VPM-A +0 and had never thought which GFs that might be similar too.

I may get one and run them parallel, if nothing else the wife wants a new computer.

Thanks Frank,I'd like some download capability and better screens.My eyes had me switch from EDGEs to Marathons and Skinny Dippers and they work fine now but I see a trend.

Ron,thanks.I'd run a bunch of old dives I'd written down on VPM-A +0 and had never thought which GFs that might be similar too.

I may get one and run them parallel, if nothing else the wife wants a new computer.
So, you can pick up a used Shearwater for cheap. If cheap is 500 or so bucks. The screen is the bomb, even my old eyes can see it clearly. You can get the newer ones in either GF or Buhlman, and make them follow exactly to V_planner. And they download over bluetooth or Ir.

You are welcome to borrow mine any time you are in Key West. Or I'll ship it to you to try out. either way.

Looking to have more modern features without losing bottom time.Currently diving a Skinny Dipper.Tried it against a few computers years ago and they all penalized me heavily on multi dive multi day trips,even when the PO2 was maxed out.Even the supposedly liberal Oceanics gave me much less bottom time and much more deco after the third or fourth dive.The Cochrans were good too but I don't know if their current algorithms are similar to the older ones.Depths are 100 to 180.Runtimes are generally <25 min.TIA.

Hi @100days-a-year

Interesting question. I have been diving DSAT for a long time, it was not developed for deco diving and seems to pile on shallow time quickly when it goes into deco. I had experience with a Cochran about 15 years ago and was considering buying a new EMC-16, which is now available for $400. I had Cochran send me a table of NDLs to look at. Instead, I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q, also $400, as backup, to gain experience with Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF. I don't have the information you really want but I do have 1st dive NDLs on air, 32% and 36% within rec limits. I find the information interesting. Though I really don't know how DSAT is designed to handle deco and generally believe it is safe, I feel more comfortable doing my light deco following Buhlmann. I have found it very enlightening to dive DSAT and Buhlmann together. Frank's suggestion to dive your current computer and Buhlmann together is the best idea. Good luck

upload_2017-6-3_12-8-54.png

upload_2017-6-3_12-9-35.png

upload_2017-6-3_12-9-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-3_12-9-16.png
    upload_2017-6-3_12-9-16.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 68
Hi @100days-a-year

Interesting question. I have been diving DSAT for a long time, it was not developed for deco diving and seems to pile on shallow time quickly when it goes into deco. I had experience with a Cochran about 15 years ago and was considering buying a new EMC-16, which is now available for $400. I had Cochran send me a table of NDLs to look at. Instead, I bought a Dive Rite Nitek Q, also $400, as backup, to gain experience with Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF. I don't have the information you really want but I do have 1st dive NDLs on air, 32% and 36% within rec limits. I find the information interesting. Though I really don't know how DSAT is designed to handle deco and generally believe it is safe, I feel more comfortable doing my light deco following Buhlmann. I have found it very enlightening to dive DSAT and Buhlmann together. Frank's suggestion to dive your current computer and Buhlmann together is the best idea. Good luck

View attachment 412583

View attachment 412585

View attachment 412586
Curious who from Cochran sent you tables of NDLs to look at?
Thank you

Have a great day
Safe Diving
John

Sales Manager
Richardson, TX
www.DiveCochran.com
www.CochranMilitary.com

So, you can pick up a used Shearwater for cheap. If cheap is 500 or so bucks. The screen is the bomb, even my old eyes can see it clearly. You can get the newer ones in either GF or Buhlman, and make them follow exactly to V_planner. And they download over bluetooth or Ir.

You are welcome to borrow mine any time you are in Key West. Or I'll ship it to you to try out. either way.
?? GF = Buhlmann
?? Follow V-planner "exactly"
?? IR

Thanks Frank,that is a very kind offer.
I am going to see about a dive tracker for the DL capability.

Back
Top Bottom