Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It stunk so bad that I thought I was going to have to burn everything I owned to get out the odor of the sanitizer they had in the room to cover up the mold/must smell.

We're divers, you would think they would know better...

Seal the room in fiberglass, dip all the wood furniture in Thompson's water seal. Scratch that, make all the furniture plastic. Put in drains. When they change renters, just hose the room down.

Vortex profited from Morrison being open in some cases...

especially on gear rental, tank rentals and air fills as it was the closest spot to Morrison to get a fill from.

For example, I've met folks at Vortex before (so they could get tanks, etc) to go dive at Morrison.

Some folks who went to dive Morrison would also camp at Vortex and might dive there as well since they were already there....

That all being said...

The people training students have to do it somewhere. With Morrison closed, the next best place is Vortex. They don't lose any money, they just pass the extra cost onto the student.

With Morrison closed, the people have to go to Vortex, if they rent gear, tanks, and need air, they're still getting it from Vortex, now they're paying to dive too.

Again, if they needed to camp, to dive Morrison, they will still need to camp, to dive Vortex.

It's a win win for Vortex.

(I had been kidding about Vortex paying off the county to keep Morrison closed, but the more I look at it...) :D

Even if Vortex had something to do with it (they don't). I've talked to the owners and they'd like to dive it as much as we do. There are divers that like to see the structure of a natural spring (Morrison) and there are divers that like to see things such as structure and swim-throughs like what's provided at Vortex. Plus Vortex also has the layout for cave training. Both Morrison and Vortex have their own niche. :D

Just to clear some things up...

Vortex does not have the layout for cave training. It's actually a very poor location for cave training. There is not much of a cavern and the part of the cave that fits training standards is less than 200' penetration. The PVC and lighting also make it a very poor choice for cave training. And the structures don't count for cave training.

but they won't get me to ever get one of their rooms again.

that was the biggest dump rip-off of a room that I've ever been charged for. It stunk so bad

We're divers, you would think they would know better...

Seal the room in fiberglass, dip all the wood furniture in Thompson's water seal. Scratch that, make all the furniture plastic. Put in drains. When they change renters, just hose the room down.

The saying comes to mind..."Where sleeping dogs lie"....:rofl3:

Just dove Vortex for New Year's Eve and there were so very few people, I was wondering how they stay in business year after year. Nothing seems to have changed since last year in the cave/cavern at Vortex. Even the store had the exact same selection of eclectic t-shirts and miscellany. I'm just interested in visiting the area to dive something a bit different and perhaps a little less outdated.

Next time you get down to our area...go to Vortex, get a canoe and head over and dive Cypress Spring. That is different and very beautiful as long as the river level is not up to high.

Just dove Vortex for New Year's Eve and there were so very few people, I was wondering how they stay in business year after year. Nothing seems to have changed since last year in the cave/cavern at Vortex. Even the store had the exact same selection of eclectic t-shirts and miscellany. I'm just interested in visiting the area to dive something a bit different and perhaps a little less outdated.

Next time you get down to our area...go to Vortex, get a canoe and head over and dive Cypress Spring. That is different and very beautiful as long as the river level is not up to high.

I'm planning on being down that way this month. Where can I find directions to get to Cypress Springs?

Another quick question about Vortex. Can I put my kayak in at the boat ramp and paddle up to the spring and Dive?

Vortex? No.

You would rent the canoe from Vortex, and drive over to the boat launch that would get you close to Cypress, there you would paddle upstream, and make your way to the spring.

If you haven't been there, a guide might be helpful.

So... randomly searching the 46 pages, closed for rennovation that was supposed to be a few mos. Still not open. No date of opening yet. No way to get to access from shore right now.
Was hoping to be able to dive it on next trip in April. Perhaps will be open by then?

Back
Top Bottom