Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not sure if the county has legal authority to block off a navigable waterway that is protected under federal laws.

the county might not have the authority, but the state does and has done just that at Blue Springs, Orange City.

the county might not have the authority, but the state does and has done just that at Blue Springs, Orange City.

Typically, it takes a tremendous amount of money and political connections to block off a navicable waterway by pretty much paying off the Corp of Engineers to deem a waterway un-navicable(see Wakulla Spring).

A few of the State Parks have their waterways empounded to boats, but most of them had done so before the Navigable Waterway laws went into effect. Like Blue Springs(Madison), maybe the same case for Orange City as well.

The only exception I see is Troy, and the run is extremely shallow in low water times. I'm sure they could use the wreck of the Madison within the run to further protect the run from boaters. Wouldn't want to damage an old civil war era wreck within the spring run.

Wildlife reasons could also probably be used to get permits in order to block an area off(like 3 Sisters Spring in Crystal River). I'm guessing the manatees at Blue Spring(Orange City) would work the same way.

None of these would apply to Morrison.

I've got to agree with PHD.... we've heard that before.

I don't know why things didn't happen whey they were supposed to, but if the County Commission office had overseen it like it should have, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I mean it's been closed for almost a year to build a dock, boardwalk and a bathroom.

They build an entire Target Super Store where I live, stocked it and had it open in a quicker amount of time.

Now if only we could flood the Target Super Store! That'd be a fun dive... :D

No doubt! Only couple millions of water to do it.

Michael

the people in line at the Starbucks in the store wouldn't have the sense to get out of line and save themselves! :rofl3:

True, but right about then would be a good time to dive in and start selling Spare Air systems :D That way they wouldn't have to lose their place in line! LOL

Back
Top Bottom