Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because your point of entry and exit was the boat ramp and I had not been to the site since the ramp was built I didn't bring a flag because I didn't know there would be boat traffic between the ramp and the diving area.The boat we encountered however, was close to the construction/swim area. I just assumed that boats would not be allowed toward the swimming area and that was the purpose of placing the boat ramp further down so that the swimmers/divers would not be in harm's way of the boats but there is nothing in place yet to do this. If that is the case, will we have to use a dive flag when the facility is open?
I have also thought about what PHD said about construction liability issues even though the waterway is suppose to be accessible to everyone and wondered if that was their purpose for not allowing diving at this point.
So it seems that the bottom line is we shouldn't dive there until it is open...as sad as that is.:depressed:
When we were there at Vortoberfest, someone said something about buoys being put up across the spring to block off boat traffic from the diving area. Don't know if that's actually going to happen, but was one of the (admittedly many) things I'd heard.

When we were there at Vortoberfest, someone said something about buoys being put up across the spring to block off boat traffic from the diving area. Don't know if that's actually going to happen, but was one of the (admittedly many) things I'd heard.

Well. I hate to see something else artificial put on site but in this case since there is already so much there anyway this might be a good thing to keep the boaters away from the swimming/diving area.

not sure if the county has legal authority to block off a navigable waterway that is protected under federal laws.

You gotta remember, the spring is there for everyone to enjoy, not just swimmers, and definately not just us divers.

You should use a flag anytime you dive Morrison, whether it be from the ramp, or even the park. It IS navigable waterway.

IT would be nice to dive the spring one more time before I move out of this area of Florida.... :( I guess, unless I decide to violate a made up sign, and keep the contractor safe from law suits, I won't be able to enjoy the spring. :( Bummer.

Isn't it the county who issues the Permits anyway?..... hummm Not knowing the construction side of things..... It's simply amazing to me and sounds like several others who aren't seeing how this build could be bungled in this way... Sure things are often over looked for time to time... but come on...

We are gonna have to wait for Picnic tales too.....??? In the winter when they aren't gonna be used...? What ever...... I have nothing nice to say, so I'll refrain from adding more fuel to this mistake! It is what it is!!!! :(

You should use a flag anytime you dive Morrison, whether it be from the ramp, or even the park. It IS navigable waterway.
Yes Daddy Scuba....I'll be good.. :wink:

Holy Smokes, what is this world coming to when PHD is the voice of reason!:D

I spoke with MDB about this. She is in a particularly good position to get the dirt on the topic, being that where she works, she is in constant contact with the parks and rec guys.

First of all, one of the conditions of the grant, was that there would never be a fee for entry, so don't worry about that.

Second of all, the no diving signs are temporary. Obviously they intend to allow diving, they put in a lot of features that are scuba specific.

As an employee at a park that's undergoing construction, I can say this... Any part of the park that is under the care of the construction company, is off limits to the general public. It's not the matter of the bathrooms not working, it's an insurance thing. If a diver goes down there, and gets hurt while a contractor is "responsible" for the area, they can be sued. So, until construction is finished, they don't want ANYONE down there, including divers.

That being said, you will never keep everyone out. They signs go up, the cops and guards can be posted, but people will sneak in. They have to show a reasonable attempt to protect the public from themselves, in case of legal actions.

All that will happen, by having divers sneak in there before the operations are finished, is divers getting a bad name. The law makers will paint us with a broad brush, unlawful trespassers, unable to abide by the rules.

Holy Smokes, what is this world coming to when PHD is the voice of reason!:D

The end is near...it is election day after all...OK I will hush now...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom