Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been granted by the county special premission for a group of 4-5 to dive Morrison. I'm working out the details with them. We'll be allowed to use the park and it's facilities. I've been granted this permission because I'm planning on filming an episode of my dive series profiling Morrison and it's improvments. The permission is granted to me and my "crew". So if you want to dive Morrison legally before it's open and don't mind helping a little then your in.
I'll let you know the details once I iron them out. They'd like for us to be there on Monday but I'm pushing back for Sunday since we all have jobs and we're volunteering.

While we're here we can try the Morrison Cavern lighting project.

Morrison was flooded out. I sent a guy down to see how bad the vis was and he said it was dark water with near zero vis all the way down to the cavern enterence.

I taked to the guy from Parks and Rec about the "No Diving" signs. (this is the guy that put the signs up) The sign means no diving head first into the water. He said when they gave him the signs he questioned the management and they said these are ment in the same fasion as the ones at the county pools. Scuba diving is allowed he's been there when there were classes and everything.

The "park closed" signs mean don't use the facilities. I told him about the roumer of divers being ticketed and he said that they can't ticket you because you havent done anything wrong. Now, this is from the guy that installed the signs and he should know what the intent was. Walking through the park is acceptable as is parking at the boat ramp and swimming to the spring.

They are installing a bouy line for the spring head to keep boats out of the area. They are also installing ladders. The bouys and ladders are in the office to be installed and those are items that ARE NOT holding the opening up. DEP has to come out there and they've been putting the county off. The Parks and Rec dept is very frustrated and they know we are also.

When is the park opening? As soon as DEP gets on the stick and inspects the water quality of the drinking fountian. However from what the Parks and Rec guy said we can dive there.

When is the park opening? As soon as DEP gets on the stick and inspects the water quality of the drinking fountian. However from what the Parks and Rec guy said we can dive there.

I sure hope no one vandalizes the drinking fountain after they open, they would have to shut it down again...

I don't think they can legally block off the spring basin to boaters since it's a navigable waterway....

I'm pretty sure they can, because they have existing locations where they've done it. The rainbow river and troy are good examples.

I've been granted by the county special premission for a group of 4-5 to dive Morrison. I'm working out the details with them. We'll be allowed to use the park and it's facilities. I've been granted this permission because I'm planning on filming an episode of my dive series profiling Morrison and it's improvments. The permission is granted to me and my "crew". So if you want to dive Morrison legally before it's open and don't mind helping a little then your in.
I'll let you know the details once I iron them out. They'd like for us to be there on Monday but I'm pushing back for Sunday since we all have jobs and we're volunteering.

While we're here we can try the Morrison Cavern lighting project.

Lighting up the cave?

I'm pretty sure they can, because they have existing locations where they've done it. The rainbow river and troy are good examples.

that was done by the State and the Federal government though... not by a "county comission".

County Comission does not have that authority.

that was done by the State and the Federal government though... not by a "county comission".

County Comission does not have that authority.

True, but they can mark off a "Swimming area/no boats" as they do off the beaches on the east coast (and Gulf during the summer). Boats entering that area can be ticketed.

Because they're buoyed ropes and not sea mines/punjis/fences, it might be defensible.

remember, the property IS owned by the state...

The property might be owned by the state, but the navigable water isn't.

The property owners rights end at "high water mark" under Florida State law on Riparian Rights.

PaulWall:
True, but they can mark off a "Swimming area/no boats" as they do off the beaches on the east coast (and Gulf during the summer). Boats entering that area can be ticketed.

Because they're buoyed ropes and not sea mines/punjis/fences, it might be defensible.

I really don't see a problem putting up buoy's... I think it's a good idea. It will improve safety in the spring for divers and swimmers.... I just don't think the county comission has authority to do it and block off a navigable waterway which is protected under Federal Law.

I mean legally there is nothing to keep me from visiting Vortex by paddling a canoe up stream into their basin and diving.

Just like Cypress Springs is not accessible by land anymore because all the land around it is privately owned, but people still access it by boat for diving/swimming/fishing often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom