Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well I say we decrease their revenue if they are going to pull this crap.

Tell everyone who you know who dives near there to not buy gas or food, etc in Walton county now.

If they are going to try to go out of their way to screw divers, no sense of us supporting their tax system.

I completely agree. A boycott on purchases in Walton county sounds good. However, I don't think they'll get it... :shakehead:

Does anyone know if this new sign is backed up by law? Just because they post a sign doesn't mean they have a law or ordinance to prosecute on... :crafty:

I completely agree. A boycott on purchases in Walton county sounds good. However, I don't think they'll get it... :shakehead:

I agree that we'll have little impact and they won't notice it. but not sense contributing to it.

Just like one vote rarely makes a difference in a political election, but combined they eventually make a difference.

Does anyone know if this new sign is backed up by law? Just because they post a sign doesn't mean they have a law or ordinance to prosecute on... :crafty:

I wondered the same thing... meaning did the county commission go into formal session and pass some "no diving law"?

I doubt it.

I'm sure the county is just issuing tresspassing fines or some other stupid violation.

As for is it against the law? Nothing to keep you from launching your boat there and diving it under the federal waterways free navigation acts.

This is just ridiculous. Shame on them. :no:

:

just in case anyone is wondering, Vortex, Sallys restaurant and the gas stations on I-10 north of Morrisons are all in Holmes County.

Walton County is where Morrison is located and are the ones causing ths issue.

Vote with your wallet and sales tax revenue.

Also, most of Destin is in Okaloosa County, but the Walton county line is about half way between Destin and San Destin.
Panama City is in Bay County.
Pensacola is Escambia County.

If you want to complain about the issues at Morrison, you can contact District 1 Commissioner Scott Brannon, who is in charge of the project.

his email is brascott@co.walton.fl.us

or you can call him at Phone: (850) 835-4860

Is there any other way to access Morrison Springs? Say, a different boat ramp? I was planning on diving it November 9th...bummer. I certainly don't mind a surface swim, but I don't have a boat, so I'd have to find a way to get to it from land...

Keep causing trouble before they open and they might just leave the signs up after the park opens. Don't burn bridges before their built. Those diving the park even when the signs are up know their doing wrong, so why are they (you) getting pissed off?

:shakehead:

Ill email my new state reps tommorow. I have no one in the senate representing me right now. We could always all show up and protest :).

Is there any other way to access Morrison Springs? Say, a different boat ramp? I was planning on diving it November 9th...bummer. I certainly don't mind a surface swim, but I don't have a boat, so I'd have to find a way to get to it from land...

No other boat launches within swimmable distance.

It doesn't take much to constitute having a boat. I'd imagine going to WalMart and buying a rubber raft would be enough. Put it in the water, inflate wing/bc and float it in the water, tied off to the boat, paddle over the boil, drop in, don gear, dive. When you surface, doft your gear inflated, tie of to the boat, fin/pull/kick your way back into the boat, and paddle a few hundred yards back to the boat launch.

Perfectly legal, even if the rednecks tell you otherwise.

Keep causing trouble before they open and they might just leave the signs up after the park opens. Don't burn bridges before their built. Those diving the park even when the signs are up know their doing wrong, so why are they (you) getting pissed off?

:shakehead:

Before this weekend, there were no "No Scuba Diving Allowed" signs off the boat launch. There were "No Diving Allowed" signs, but as far as I'm concerned, they are speaking to people jumping headfirst into the water from the banks - LOL! :D Otherwise, they wouldn't specify so much elsewhere in the park that certain areas are "Scuba" specific.

Even if they prohibit divers from land access, we have laws to protect our boat access into the spring. Access thats easily granted via that brand new boat launch they've got built just a little ways up the run!

I don't really have a terrible problem with a small entrance fee to be honest... I personally think that will keep some of the hillbilly circus out. Its just gotta be reasonable.

The spring is changed for the foreseeable future, the addition of the huge floating dock and boardwalk have already been erected, ruining its once, nearly pristine look... At this point, its already a changed site. I'm glad I have pictures of the way it used to be, pre-retarted-era.

Before we all get to worked up....who is the one that has been talking to the county official? How about we contact him and see what the county is saying about this? Shouldn't we hear from them officially before we start going off on this. We might cause way more harm then good by reacting to rumors. I know the new sign is there, but how about we find out what their plans are before we start talking boycott.

As a retailer (not in Walton County) I think a boycott is aiming at the wrong folks! When you take money from local business people, you hurt families NOT the county. Government will ALWAYS find another way to get what they need. Raised "usage fees, licenses, etc." They will pass along any "harm" we do to them...right back to us.

IF we find that they are targeting divers, a boycott is not the way to get their attention. I have a little experience with issues like this in the past. We ALL know what moves an elected official? (Stop it, I know some of the smart responses many of you are wanting to type right now!):D Most governments know the masses will simply roll over...because most of the time we do. If we get "factual" information that divers are going to be "singled out" in some way, then divers should show up in mass to their next public meeting. We get on the agenda to speak, we alert the media before the meeting of our presence there. We enlist divers from within the county (this is VERY important)...local taxpayers have to be upset about this. A bunch of divers from outside the county will NOT persuade the county.

Sorry, I know this might be to much to soon. But, let's take a breath and find out what the facts are. Then, lets respond in a reasonable way. I am willing to go to some county meetings if it comes to this. Like Bugman, I am not opposed to a small, reasonable fee.

So, step one. Who is going to speak with the county official to get the facts on how things currently stand?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom