Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simmer down Mike, you know the county officials have to spend all the grant money before they open up the facility. I'm sure they are all down in Coz sipping Pink Pantie Rippers at the expense of Florida tax payers............Oh wait, that sounds like any other politician doesn't it.

You missed a good day of diving yesterday.

Kenny

The bathrooms are built and the water is working.... BigKen posted a picture somewhere of where the showers were working.

However, they've turned the water off.

Seems they've been planning this for 3 years now and no one did the permit paperwork in advance for the Health Department, etc to get the well water tested and permitted for use... (This from the county themselves. They told me the hold up was some last minute electrical and that the water wasn't working. I told them the showers were on, then he told me that "well we don't have the permits yet back from the health department").

I'm sure they meet ADA requirements on the bathrooms as part of their initial plan with the boardwalk was for it to be ADA friendly.

This sort of thing can happen for numerous reasons, the contractors didn't submit the permits, the designers screwed up the design, the reviewer screwed up the plan review, the contractor didn't install something right, etc, etc but many times it's because code officials make code compliance so difficult to meet it's virtually impossible to make it from project start to finish without some major code snafu.

We deal with this sort of thing every week and it's just getting worse around here. Believe it or not the state was actually better when they had code enforcement in these parts. When our local municipalities took it over things pretty much went downhill in a big way. Sounds strange it went that way here but it did. It only takes a couple badly placed people to ruin a whole department.

As a viewer from a far i have say it looks like a pretty nice project. I've seen MUCH worse uses of taxpayer dollars than this ..... code CF aside that is.:wink:

Tis another sad day in the annals of Walton County. There is a series of signs at the boat ramp delaring 'NO SCUBA DIVING."

A group of divers went there today and when they were at the parking lot a wannabe police officer in a beat up car with a "FLORIDA SHERIFF ASSOCIATION" tag on his car stood guard. He menaced the divers with a scowl and went about taking down tag numbers and taking pictures of the potential culprits. Probably alerted Homeland Security on his CEE-BEE. "Breaker Beraker One Nine - Some of them perps is a headed for the sprang!"

As afraid as my friends were they sat there drinking cokes and eating snacks. They figured that if Dudley Dooright was there to watch over them they would let him earn his keep for a long long time.

They finally left and on the way out they passed a Walton County Deputy headed for Morrion at a high rate of speed. Whew - slipped by on the skin of their teeth.

It seems like there is a two-hundred dollar or so fine for diving there now and the deputy wanted some of that revenue. It is comforting to know that the crime rate in Walton County is at such a low that the deputy has nothing to do but race back and forth keeping those dastartly divers out of the spring. Or it could be that revenue is revenue.

Also heard that the promisers are planning on charging admission now. What ever came of promises?

Just sad to know that the leaders of Walton County dropped to a new low level of respect today.

Last edited:
FIRE 'EM ALL!
Rick

Thanks for the heads up Tom. I was thinking about hitting Morrisons this weekend but now I must "Think" about it a little more. I am really not into increasing Walton County's revenue in that fashion.

Tomorrow should be a good day to hit Morrison's. I'm sure all the law keepers will be counting paper chads.

Safe diving,

Kenny

Thanks for the heads up Tom. I was thinking about hitting Morrisons this weekend but now I must "Think" about it a little more. I am really not into increasing Walton County's revenue in that fashion.

well I say we decrease their revenue if they are going to pull this crap.

Tell everyone who you know who dives near there to not buy gas or food, etc in Walton county now.

If they are going to try to go out of their way to screw divers, no sense of us supporting their tax system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom