Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glen, totally agree with your posts... I just can't see how diving there will be the same with a looooong hike across hot pavement, down the pier, etc, etc.

IMG_3252.jpg

I wonder if the county would be willing to make the closer parking spots reserved for divers? Thatll be one heck of a hike from the overflow lot with a tank on your back. Besides, most of the locals use coolers with wheels now, so they dont have anything to carry :D

I wonder if the county would be willing to make the closer parking spots reserved for divers? That'll be one heck of a hike from the overflow lot with a tank on your back. Besides, most of the locals use coolers with wheels now, so they don't have anything to carry :D
I doubt that would work, but perhaps someone ought to float the concept of a few spaces of "loading/unloading zone" (i.e. 5- or 10-minute parking). That would help both the divers with their doubles and any revelers with heavy coolers.

As it wouldn't single out any particular group, I imagine it would seem far more likely to be an acceptable concept. It would be a compromise but better than the third of a mile walk at St. Andy's jetties in PCB. :biggrin:

how ya supposed to climb back up on the walkway from the water?

This is ONLY supposition on my part (I have no first-hand info), but considering that not only divers, but swimmers (including little kids) and snorkelers will be using the walkway, probably there will be steps at the end of the walkway that go all the way to the bottom (and are anchored there). I expect that the steps will be used by everyone for both entry and exit.

In fact, THAT is most likely why they are extending the walkway as far as they are (into deeper water so the bottom steps won't be high and dry during periods of low water).

They are probably thinking that the height of the walkway will be sufficient during periods of high water, and the steps ending somewhere near the lip of the opening of the cavern will keep things moving during periods of low water.

But, heck, who knows? Unless we can get a straight answer from a bureaucrat (and I'm not up to the task of trying), we'll probably just have to wait and see.

I doubt that would work, but perhaps someone ought to float the concept of a few spaces of "loading/unloading zone" (i.e. 5- or 10-minute parking). That would help both the divers with their doubles and any revelers with heavy coolers.

As it wouldn't single out any particular group, I imagine it would seem far more likely to be an acceptable concept. It would be a compromise but better than the third of a mile walk at St. Andy's jetties in PCB. :biggrin:

That's a good idea. Very doable. The over flow lot will make St Andrews look easy. :11:

St. Andrews Jetties has an easy walk, concrete everywhere, sidewalks, ect. Destin has a 1/4(for real, not an exageration) hike through loose sand at best, up to 1/2 mile from the far parking spots though(albeit everything after a 1/4mile is easy paved stuff).

I'm not too concerned about the walk at Morrison(everything is packed tightly and lots of shade), the way the boardwalk is routed, really kills any chance of a reasonably close dropoff anyway - less the right side is still opened up.

They were going to have a high water boat ramp going down on the right side of the old pavilion. There was to be a paved road with a turnaround on the left (on the way in) which would allow boaters to turn their vehicles. Once turned around, the boat would be backed to the water and launched. Parking spaces on the right (on the way in) were angled to allow the boater to pull the trailer back up hill to park and then back the trailer down to pick up the boat at the end of the day. I'm not sure if the ramp is on the new drawing, but the parking is. Those would be prime spots to park in because they are almost where we have been parking.

Another blast from the past:

kneebasin.jpg

26242morrisonsmoke.jpg

623surface.jpg

728top1.jpg

91mist1.jpg

mtop2.jpg

m1.jpg

Thanks for the pics everyone. Great desktop pics for my computer at work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom