More advice on dry suit purchase please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_willy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this has come up a few times, and I particularly liked the recent discussion on DUI suits. However, I would appreciate views on whether its worth spending the extra money for a top of the line suit like DUI ? I am a recreational diver and expect to dive perhaps 50 times a year on cold water (lakes, california coast etc) and the occasional trip to cold water location. Dry suits are a significant investment, and I am looking for a suit I can get good value from.

I can be more specific- I have been researching the Pinnacle evolution 2 (cordura Trilam) which is $1600. My question is whether its worth paying the extra for a DUI TLS, which with shoulder entry is about $2300 (I think). Of course there are some more budget priced suits at $1000 (for example the freedom 2 from pinnacle). My budget would stretch to the DUI, but I have to ask whether its going to be worth the extra $800 over the Evol 2. Of course, I also wonder if the evol 2 is worth the $600 over the freedom 2 (or other budget suits).

All advice appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't seen the pinnacle up close. It looks like a good suit. I don't know if buying the DUI is a better deal. I use the Viking x-treme. It is a lite weight suit and is fairly tough. It was considerable cheaper than the suits that you have mentioned. They sell for around 1,500, new. You may be able to find some deals on Ebay for less. I have seen various on line outfits that have them around 1,200. Good luck on finding the one that will serve you.

I recently demo'd the whites Fusion, and I would buy that suit in a heartbeat. It dove a lot like a wetsuit, which is rather unusual for a dry suit. ST's sell s them for around $1200 for the thin outer material suit, and $1400 for the better version.

I purchased a BARE NexGen which is a very budget suit. It has held up well over the years, and was very inexpensive used. New it is about $650, but it's a rather good suit for the price IMO, but not a tri-lam.

Ive owned the Pinnacle evolution 2 and got about 40 dives in it before I sold it. Its a tough suit and takes you to Iraq and back but... It comes at a prize and that is mobility and lightness. Its one heavy suit and is stiff like cardboard, a overstatment but it feels like that comparing it to a lighter suit. If i where to choose between the two pinnacle suits, the freedom 2 and evolution 2 I would go with the freedom. Tough enough and has a front zip and much better mobility both over and under water. The suit actually have some stretch. But if you got the money, buy the whites fusion with the limited 1mm neoprene skin. I did that and I will soon be doing acrobatics underwater...

Last edited:
Thanks all for your responses. i will check out the Whites Fusion. Looks like there is a test dive coming up near me.

The most important thing is fit, fit, fit. Both fit of the drysuit on your body, and your feet to the foot to the fin. My old drysuit was a TLS shoulder entry, my new one is a Bare Tech HD, and my buddy dives the Bare NexGen. All are great suits, and I've heard good things about the Fusion and Pinnacle as well.

There are lots of great suggestions for suits here. I have a different suggestion.

If you find a suit with features you really love, it might be worth considering that an extra $500 broken over 50 dives a year for 10 years (which a good suit should last), you are looking at an extra dollar a dive. That's less than the cost of a cup of coffee. That's cheap for features you really love. I paid an extra $250 for a neoprene suit over a laminate one and I have never looked back.

I purchased a Whites Fusion Tech Ltd earlier this year after trying several different dry suits.
In short, I love it... I am 6' but went for the XXL so I have extra room, which due to the design is snugged up via the out layer. That way I can easily wear as much underlayer is I like. Coldest dive so far was 40 degrees using the Forth Element Artic and base layer. I really like the Fourth element layers as well.

As others have said try it out and find the one for oyu... for me the Fusion was/is a great fit, works well and was reasonable compared to other better suits. I also like that I can replace the outer suit if and when needed, but already after about 50 dives there is no discernible wear.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom