More advice on dry suit purchase please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 3 year old DR 905 which has been a good suit for me. The one thing I will do different with my next suit will be to buy a front zip rather than a back zip.

I have the Pinnacle Evo2 suit and have a handful of dives w/Fusion as well. While I love the Evo2, its tough, its easy to get on and off. I haven't any mobility problems with it underwater. The HD seals that it has are great and just add to the durability of the suit. Of course I have to admit, its a little bulky, but then that is mostly due to the undergarments (I am often in <40F water) so I have heavy undergarments. Underwater its a nice suit, SiTech valves are great, pockets are very functional, not too big that things fall out, not too so small they aren't useful.

Whites Fusion- well, if I were going to buy another suit for recreational diving, it would without a doubt be a Fusion, just buy one. Still have the SiTech valves, they are amazingly easy to repair at home and fit very well. Just get one.

Why would you just use the Fusion for recreational diving? Just get the techskin with pockets :)

I ordered Typhoon TCS ($499 seems like a great price on sale). Probably not as fancy as others mentioned here but at this price it is a steal!

I just bought a DUI CF200. It rocks. It dives like a wetsuit, as far as comfort, freedom of movement are concerned. I paid $1800cdn for mine. I would highly recommend it.

I own and dive a Pinnacle Freedom 2. I have no problem with mobility nor any functionality of the suit underwater or above water. It is a great suit for all intents and purposes for recreational diving. The seals on it are pretty durable and i have had no problems with it at all since i got it earlier this year.

They have one of those corny sayings in my line of work...Fit for purpose. I suppose it actually applies in this topic. I have about equal dives in both a Pinnacle Evo 2 and now a White Fusion Tech.

I have to agree with the OPs that the Evo 2 is indestructible. It is easier to put and comparatively similar in price with the Fusion. However, the dive characteristics for rack size suits is black-and-white. Granted I used the Evo 2 first while learning the ins and outs of diving dry, I still found bubble management to be quite a pain with the Evo 2. It has all be disappeared with the Fusion. My LDS sells all three, Pinnacle, Whites and DUI. I looked at all of them when shopping around. The DUI is still a very respected name and many of the instructors still use them. The key factor in my choice to a Fusion was fit. While I could have had a DUI custom fitted to almost the same fit of Fusion, it would have been easily twice the price.

When looking at the budget, don't forget the cost of undergarments, bigger fins, a drysuit hood, maybe some gloves, and so on....

Undergarments are at least as important as the suit when it comes to overall comfort.

Having owned two different drysuits, both of wich were tri-lam (typhoon and DUI), I will offer this piece of advice... Each suit is going to bring to the table certain pro's and con's. Think for a min about the progression of your diving, the environment that you will be diving it in, and then start to weigh the pro's and con's.

Of course this seems simple enough but far to many people, uh hummmm...me included, buy a suit that works for right now and not for the future.

I went cheap for my first suit, there was nothing wrong with it, but as I began to dive it more frequently I was more aware of its short commings and eneded up selling it and buying the DUI.

Fit is going to be one of the biggest concerns you should address up front. Some folks I know just dont fit well in a DUI off the rack, they have two options, look at a different suit or order custom. Its worth the due dillegence and in the long run, the extra time spent will pay divedends ten fold.

On another note, I hear alot of people say they tried on a Whites fusion and fell in love. Talk to those same folks after they dive the suit several times with fully loaded pockets (backup masks, wet-notes, back up tables, lift bags, reels, etc. etc. and see what they have to say. I have heard far to many compalin about the "sag" that occurs due to the skin not being attached to the inner liner..

Hope it helps,
Austin

i would also look into:

- diving concepts
- abyss (has kevlar coated options and a cool 2mm neoprene suit)
- waterproof (specialized in neoprene)
- USIA (specialized in trilam)
- OS systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom