Monster meg from Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jesspark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband Brandon and I have gone diving at Venice, FL once before -- just under a year ago, with Captain Steve Thacker and Marie aboard Florida West Scuba School's Hammerhead. We had a great time, found some goodies (including several megalodon teeth), and started counting down until the next time we could go out fossil-hunting.

Yesterday was the big day. We woke up at four-thirty in the morning in order to get ready, get on the road, and get to Florida West Scuba by eight AM, and, despite being groggy, we were excited to get back out in the water again. I had to quit my job at a local aquarium back in December and hadn't been diving since, so I was definitely looking forward to our two dives.

My first dive started out horribly. After about fifteen minutes down, I got the line from my dive flag looped over the anchor line, and, when I came up to free it, I managed to tangle myself up like a manatee in a crab trap line. As I moved to the rear of the boat so Steve and Marie could help me out, I realized that my tank had come loose, and then I dropped my freaking mask. I wanted to curl up and die from embarrassment -- I've been diving since I was eighteen years old, and I was making these awful rookie mistakes in front of the captain and his mate. Flustered beyond belief, I entertained the idea of just calling it quits and hauling my butt back on the boat, but, with a spare mask loaned to me by the lovely Marie, I went back down to try my luck.

And I'm so glad I did.

Within just a few minutes, I pulled this beauty off the sea floor:

0053phef.jpg

It's not intact, there are only a couple of specks of enamel left on it, and the serrations are long gone, but it's HUGE. The base is about four and a half inches across, and Steve estimates that, if the tip wasn't broken off, the tooth would be about seven inches long.

Here's an admittedly crappy cell phone picture taken in the car on the way home that shows you the tooth in its entirety:

0053k68r.jpg

I didn't find much on the second dive -- a couple of smaller megs, a whale vertebrae, and some miscellaneous shark teeth -- but, really, with a find like this one on the first dive, asking for more would just be greedy. =) Brandon, like last time, found the pretty, intact, serrated teeth; if we could only combine our powers to find pretty, intact, serrated, HUGE teeth, we'd be in business!

Our teeth and other fossils have been soaking in apple cider vinegar overnight to break up the gunk, and now I'm in the process of photographing the big meg in my photo box. Once I get the photos cleaned up, I'll post more of 'em.

Thanks again to Captain Steve Thacker and Marie for showing us another great time! We'll definitely be back. :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Walter! :)

Okay, here are some better pictures, taken after all the barnacles and other crud were removed:

0053q8te.jpg

One view of the tooth.

0053rks4.jpg

The opposite side.

0053sbqb.jpg

From the root to the broken tip, it measures about 5.25" long.

0053ty24.jpg

Across the root, it measures around 4.5" wide.

0053we97.jpg

This is yesterday's tooth next to one of last year's. Yow! Quite a difference.

That was one big fish.

Last edited:
Jess, I think Steve was mistaken. If that tooth were intact, I believe it would be over 7½ inches long. That tooth is amazing! I have close to 300 fossil dives, I've never found one close to that size. Great job! Thanks for posting the new photos.

Well, Steve did say he was being conservative in his estimate. =) He said he'd never seen anything that big come out of Venice, either, and his guess on how much it would be worth if it was intact with serrations made me want to cry--not that I'd sell this baby, anyway. :wink:

So, what I learned from yesterday: all you have to do to find big teeth, apparently, is get tangled up in your own line, almost lose your tank, drop your mask (another diver found it, thank goodness!), and generally make a huge fool of yourself. :laughing:

jesspark:
So, what I learned from yesterday: all you have to do to find big teeth, apparently, is get tangled up in your own line, almost lose your tank, drop your mask (another diver found it, thank goodness!), and generally make a huge fool of yourself.

There might be something to that. Last summer, a guy dropped his mask. I dropped down and retrieve it for him while waiting for my buddies to get ready. He found a 5 inch meg, I found a bunch of little teeth, but no megs.

Eureka! We've discovered the price for big meg teeth: public humiliation. :wink: Hell, I'm willing to pay it!

The bad thing about tooth hunting is that until you find the first meg you just want to find one. After that you're always looking for a bigger/nicer one. It's a neverending quest!

Just found this comment in another thread, and I wanted to quote it for truth. =)

I doubt I'll ever find a meg tooth larger than the one I scored yesterday, but now I'm on the lookout for a big one that's intact with serrations. I'd also be happy just finding the rest of yesterday's tooth. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom