Monster meg from Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, james! =) Although it's impressive even as it is, as you said, I'm thinking of getting it restored; Steve gave me the name of a guy who does great tooth restorations (I saw a tooth he'd worked on and it looked amazing), so I'm going to give him a call and see what he could do for my big broken beauty.

Don't do it. Right now, you have a magnificant real fossil. If you have it "restored" you'll have a fake. Keep diving, you'll find that beautiful tooth yet.

Yeah... I've gone back and forth on it for that very reason. I may see if I can compromise by having a cast taken and then getting the cast restored, leaving the fossil itself alone; then, I'd have a complete copy, but I'd still have the original tooth, too. Best of both worlds!

I agree with Walter. I have close to 100 megs that are 80% whole or better.

Had I found that meg, I would be proud to add it to my collection. As is.

lol then don't ruin it with restoration. It's a big rush to find a large, perfect meg, but honestly, a perfect tooth is just like any other perfect tooth. I find that the megs I keep going back to are the ones with my favorite flaws. They're the ones that keep me looking.

And finding that next monster tooth, of course.

I'm guessing you missed the post above in which I remarked that I'm thinking of having the tooth cast and then getting the cast restored -- I don't think that counts as "ruining" it, and, even if I wanted to have the tooth itself restored, that doesn't mean I'm not proud of it. :) Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for your input, though!

Bad vis on this thread? :D

posted at the same time (almost), and I didn't look back above. Besides, I'm more comfortable diving in no vis.

Back
Top Bottom