Monster meg from Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most don't need much cleaning, rubbing them with your thumb will clean most of them up very nicely. Those that require a little more, I soak them in white vinegar for no more than one hour, then I rinse and soak in water for an hour. If it needs more than that, I repeat the process. Soaking overnight probably won't hurt them, but I don't take a chance with my nice finds.

What Walter said -- although I soak mine in apple cider vinegar, and I've soaked 'em overnight without any issues. :) If there are any particularly stubborn barnacles or other crud still clinging after that, I have an old dental pick that I use to very carefully work on them.

Wow if that was around today we would need much bigger boats

Walt and Jess,
The teeth cleaned up nice thanks to your advice.

Attachments

• teeth venice (2).jpg
    teeth venice (2).jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 72
  • teeth venice (1).jpg
    teeth venice (1).jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 72
Wow if that was around today we would need much bigger boats

You mean you'd still be going out on the water? :wink: Just kidding -- I'd still go out, too. I figure a meg wouldn't even notice me; compared to a whale, a human is like an M&M. A bony little M&M.

Walt and Jess,
The teeth cleaned up nice thanks to your advice.

Wow, you brought in quite the nice little haul, didn't you? :D Congrats! They cleaned up beautifully. I especially like the one-inch tooth next to the "5" marking on the measuring tape. Is that a Hemipristis?

Good job on the big meg chunk, too! I don't think I found any that large before my big 'un, although some of the fragments from our first dive may have been close. Try putting that sucker under your pillow and see what the Tooth Fairy will give you for it!

Man, now I want to dive Venice again. Considering our shark tooth dives are probably a once-a-year thing, it's gonna be a loooonng eleven months and three weeks... :wink:

That is a hemipristis Serra and a lovely one at that. There's also at least one tiny meg in that collection toward the upper right.

Jess, there's no law that says you can only dive Venice once a year. If you wanna dive Venice, dive Venice.

Oo, I'm envious -- I've yet to find a hemi. Maybe next time! :) It's on the list of fossils I'd like to find, right next to "whale tooth" and "whale inner ear bone."

Unfortunately, while there's no law saying I can only dive Venice once a year, my wallet says otherwise. :wink: Although I think the prices to go out to the boneyard are totally fair, my husband and I just don't have the extra money right now to drive down to Venice and go diving whenever we'd like -- I wish we did! We may try a shore dive sometime this summer, though, since that just involves a tank rental.

Jess, shore diving at Venice is fabulous! I've dived Venice almost 300 times, have over 26,000 shark teeth (not counting those I gave away) and I've made exactly one dive from a boat at Venice. When the wallet is a little thin, Venice is the idea place to dive. A little fuel to drive there, an air fill and we're diving. Cost is minimal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom