Monster meg from Venice, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beautiful tooth! I Love mucking around for megs. I only wish I were able to visit Venice this summer. I'll have to settle for Charleston after ITK....

And don't have it altered. It is phenomenal as is. Good job.

Jess, shore diving at Venice is fabulous! I've dived Venice almost 300 times, have over 26,000 shark teeth (not counting those I gave away) and I've made exactly one dive from a boat at Venice. When the wallet is a little thin, Venice is the idea place to dive. A little fuel to drive there, an air fill and we're diving. Cost is minimal.

On my to-do list now: searching the boards for the best spots to shore-dive in Venice. =) I love the convenience of stepping off a boat into thirty feet of water, but you can't argue with cheap in a pinch!

Beautiful tooth! I Love mucking around for megs. I only wish I were able to visit Venice this summer. I'll have to settle for Charleston after ITK....

And don't have it altered. It is phenomenal as is. Good job.

Thanks, ZenDiver.3D! :) I still haven't called the artifact restoration guy, but I'm looking more at having a cast made and then getting the cast restored -- that way, I get the "full" tooth without having to alter the real thing. I'm greedy like that. :D

Good luck in Charleston, BTW!

Very nice find!!

I will be traveling to Venice this weekend, but no diving - as it will be a relaxing family outing for the Memorial Day weekend. I will have to find my meg some other time

Sean

ZenDiver.3D:
I only wish I were able to visit Venice this summer. I'll have to settle for Charleston after ITK....

That's just wrong, you gotta drop by Venice on your way north.

trogloxene:
I will be traveling to Venice this weekend, but no diving

You can't sneak away for a couple of hours?

You can't sneak away for a couple of hours?

No. I tried to arrange it last year when we were at Venice over Labor Day weekend, but the hurricane in the gulf ruined it. My wife got mad because "I am supposed to be spending time with the family and not diving" :D I will still have my mask and fins with me, but any teeth I find will probably be on the beach

Sean

Spend time showing the kids how to find fossils in the surf zone. Kids love that. (so do adults)

Nice Score there. I was in venice on sunday for the first time diving off a boat usally Beach dives. I got lucky my self with my first good find! 3 inches wide 4.5 inches tall it still has most of the serations on the edges of the tooth. I actually found another but it was lost on the swim back to the boat. "the one that got away!" I am looking forward to going back in the next few weeks. Now I have MEG tooth fever!

Attachments

• DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG00034.jpg
    IMG00034.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 73
Does anyone ever dive with a Third lung or hookah rig for teeth? Just wondering?

Nope! I'm interested to find out if anyone else does, though...

Nice Score there. I was in venice on sunday for the first time diving off a boat usally Beach dives. I got lucky my self with my first good find! 3 inches wide 4.5 inches tall it still has most of the serations on the edges of the tooth. I actually found another but it was lost on the swim back to the boat. "the one that got away!" I am looking forward to going back in the next few weeks. Now I have MEG tooth fever!

Beauuutiful tooth, sjenk288! Looks like you've found yourself a new steak knife. :wink:

Do you have a good bag for your teeth and other finds? Mine is very fine plastic mesh, yum-yum yellow, and it closes at the top using velcro. Sure beats the sock I've had to use in a pinch in the past! =)

Yes I have a good Bag for colecting teeth. I bought a shell collecting bag from one of the dive shops on the east coast. I live in Boca Raton. It has a drawstring on the top. The other tooth I found did not fit into the bag so i stuck it into my BC. It must have fallen out on the swim back. It was starting to get a bit rough on the open water with the thunder storms rolling in. I would have gone back to look for it but it was starting to rain. I guess that one was not ready to leave the water yet. There is allways next time right. I am just happy that it was a safe dive for all of us there. and I came back with a proud find that I could show off to all my friends!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom